• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do nannacara anomala require special water for breeding ?

anewbie

I have a couple of nannacara and very often i see the female go into breeding colours (checkboard); and occasionally i see her guarding a cave but i never see any eggs (perhaps snails are eating them?); much less fry. While I'm not trying to explicitly breed them i am curious if they require esp soft or acidic water for successful breeding (I'm using tap which is gh 4 kh 3 and ph around 7 or 7.1).
-
My cockatoo in the same tank have successfully bred in this tank (though they have not attempted for a 6 weeks - or at least i have not observed them do so but they did have one successful breeding in which the female was caring for frys for a couple of weeks).

anewbie

Thanks,

It might be a young female syndrome. It took my angels 4 or 5 times to get it right; and similar for rams. I will say I like these fishes a lot more than the apistogramma; they seem to have a lot more personality (they are in the 40 withthe cockatoo) in a community tank. I will also say that so far both the cockatoo and nannacara have been not overly aggressive to other tank mates (cories, pleco, guppies, kubotai rasbora - though i worry the cockatoo could eat the kubotai with that giant mount). I'm a passive breeder - if she has frys and they get a couple of weeks old i'll give her some help but i'm not trying to raise a bunch of fishes - mostly because no one around here seems to want them (I couldn't give away my angles to anyone 'cept the lfs - no one wanted them).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….