• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DIY Dwarf Cichlid Cave

Joe Gatchell

Decided to try to make a cave. Total project cost about a dollar. I bought 6 terra cotta pot trays. I put two together and cut a half circle in each for the door. I used twine to hold them together for the prototype, I will likely use silicone on the next one if the fish like them. The entrance is fairly small, easily accessible by my female taeniatus, and I think the male could probably squeeze in if he wanted. You can cut the doors to whatever size you need though. I used a utility knife and scraped and scraped until I got my entrance right, took about 10 minutes. So, here it is:

dwarfcichlidcave1.jpg

dwarfcichlidcave2.jpg

dwarfcichlidcave3.jpg

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Neat idea. I've always had trouble trying to "cut" the terra cotta where it doesn't break. A dremel tool sometimes comes in handy, but will have to try the file method.

Instead of tying the two pieces together, could you silicone them together? I guess that would add to your cost though.

Thanks for sharing! Will definitely give this a try.
Bb

Joe Gatchell

Neat idea. I've always had trouble trying to "cut" the terra cotta where it doesn't break. A dremel tool sometimes comes in handy, but will have to try the file method.

Instead of tying the two pieces together, could you silicone them together? I guess that would add to your cost though.

Thanks for sharing! Will definitely give this a try.
Bb

Yeah I am going to use silicone on the next ones. Just wanted to get them into the tank and see if the fish liked them. The female taeniatus in both tanks have moved from the flower pot caves to these new ones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….