• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

N. America Dither-fish for Apistos in looong tanks.. Epiplatys lamottei..

MickeM

5 Year Member
Found this when I was scanning Aquabid.com.... for you all in North America!!

Since I have Epiplatys lamottei ... I can assure you the these fishes will be a nice dither-fish in tanks longer
than 60-70cm and contain lots of plants..
If you have plants up to the surface+ some "moss clumps"(or similar plants) , I can almost guarantee that you will find fry from the Epiplatys at the surface .. (Incubation-time for eggs: 10-14 days..)
Very easy to scoop up fry and keep them in another tank!!
And...my Apistos also got fry in a long tank (115x35x35cm) with these killie-fishes..
Apistos swimming at the bottom of the tank.., Epiplatys at the surface!! A nice mix, but with some action too..
Epiplatys are also territorial..! ( Although they have got teeths, their mouth is turned upwards... so if they are not much bigger than the Apistos, they can hardly do them any harm !!)
But keep a cover on the tank..they are great swimmers+ "Jumpers" ...and don`t mix them with too small Apistos!! :):)

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwkillifish&1439862426

/Micke

Last edited:

MickeM

5 Year Member
Here are some pics of Epiplatys in my tanks..(with Apistos) !!

E. lamottei x 2 + E. spilargyreius x 3 !!

And FYI....from what I could see .. there is only one day left on this auction!!

Attachments

• 132.JPG
    132.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 422
  • 156.JPG
    156.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 392
  • 100.JPG
    100.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 397
  • 077.JPG
    077.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 387
  • 122.JPG
    122.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 391
  • 132.JPG
    132.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 378
  • 156.JPG
    156.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 352

gerald

5 Year Member
Yes the Epiplatys are certainly built for snatching insects on the water surface in nature, although I'm sure in captivity they will learn to hunt for little fish on the bottom if they get hungry. Aquarium fish learn all kinds of crazy behaviors that they wouldn't do in nature. Micke what is the plant in photo #1 that looks like Elodea but with paler color and narrower leaves? A friend gave me a plant that looks like that and neither of us has been able to identify it.

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi gerald+all..

The plant is Pogostemon erectus ...
But normally they have thicker leaves when you have recently bought them, since I guess that they are probably cultivated emersed .

And yes.. Epiplatys are carnivores for sure!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….