• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Discus and Apistos

jowens

5 Year Member
I know our friend Aspen is trying it, but I'd like to hear about everyone else's experiences with mixing discus and apistos. I know it can be done, but I'm concerned about space in my show tank: is 46-gallons (planted) big enough for 3 discus and 2-pairs of Apistos?

Neil

Depends on the structure and the species that you choose. Choose wisely and it can be done, but choose unwisely and you may have yourself some unhappy fish. :cry:

Eva32181

5 Year Member
I'd say yes, IMHO. But discus prefer life in schools, and might be very nervous in a grouping of only three. Also, pick less aggressive apisto species (I don't know which apistos those would be, tho).

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Well,
i always kept discus alone, but i was breeding them and that is another matter. i agree with Eva. A group of 3 will most likely not work, as the 2 more dominant fish are going to pick on the 3rd one. Discus form a pecking order, and IMO you should have no less that 4 or 5 fish in the same tank. A 46 is not big enough even for the discus, let alone apistos as well. Just my opinion.....

Rich

Eva32181

5 Year Member
If you could get a mated pair of discus for your tank, that would be perfect. A proven pair that does night fight with each other, plus maybe a few rams and tetras, would work. I would LOVE to have a tank like that. You should get another tank, buy several baby discus, grow them out in there and when a pair forms put them in your planted show tank. Assuming you have unlimited time and money, that is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….