• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Digital photography

DigitalBoy

5 Year Member
Hi. I own a Fuji 6800 FinePix digital camera. I've played around with it a little taking pictures of my aquarium. However I would like to get more pointers on how to make good close up pictures, I still can't get them good enough. I've noticed that if I use flash they are more focused, but the natural aquarium color is lost. I am enabling the close up feature.

Dmitry

M

Max

Digital Aquarium Photography

Hi Dmitry,
Are you talking about aquarium/tank close ups or fish close ups?
The best way to get good tank photos is to put your camera on a tripod .Darken the surroundings completely.Set your camera on a low f-stop and long exposure-1sec to 1/60 sec depending on your tank lights.
Long exposure will show your fish as streaks in the tank as they swim by.You can avoid this by adding illumination to your tank such as an extra striplight.
Just practice with different camera settings and tank lighting.
HTH
Max
P.S. Hey ,Neil I found my way to this forum:lol:

DigitalBoy

5 Year Member
Thank you

Thank you for that advice. I am trying to make pictures of my fish. I do not have a tripod and I think it might be pretty hard to get a good close up picture of a fish with a tripod - unless you are lucky enought to have it swim right by. But I will definately try to follow your advice.
Check out the pictures I've done recently on www.tanksetups.com, for a 25 gallon tank, I still can't manage to get a really good shot of my apisto male.

M

Max

Hi Dmitry,
Fish photography is a completly different story.
Check Randy Carey's or my website for help on getting started with digital Aquarium Fish Photography.
You'll find some hints on my site in the various discussion lists.
I answered a lot of questions on how to get started there.
Randy's webpresentation is a must read if you're really into digital aquarium photography http://characin.com/photography/
HTH
Max

jowens

5 Year Member
Hey Guys,

I like this site for tracking down electronics at decent prices:

http://www.nextag.com

It basically searches hundreds of online stores for the lowest price for a given product, then links to them. For instance, the Nikon 990, which is the featured camera in that link you provide, Max, can be found for $375 on Nextag. Ordinarily it's around $550.

mordor

5 Year Member
I use tripod but not for camera. I mount flash light on it. This way I can position flash under angle so reflexes will not come into my lenses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….