• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus warzeli?

Apistoguy52

Seems that there are a bunch of these around for some reason…anyone kept them? Anyone buying them up? As a sister species to D foirni, do these have some of the same issues…i.e. male heavy sex ratios?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I had a pair back in 1990s. I found it easier to maintain since it is a clearwater species. I can't say anything about sex ratios because I was busy with kids that took away 'fish time'.

Apistoguy52

Thanks Mike. Clearwater? CA1 purports that Warzel collected them only in water with a pH less than 4. Were you able to reproduce them in “Clearwater”?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, they are a clearwater fish from the Rio Tapajós. Clearwater values typically range in the pH 5 - 6 range but can be higher or lower due to being almost pure H2O. It really depends on the location, water flow/rainfall, and time of day. Like any softwater environment (aquarium or Nature) pH can fluctuate wildly.

These fish were sent to me by a former Brazilian exporter and friend. At the time family and long work hours took precedence over hobbies, so sadly no I never even tried to breed them.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….