• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus sp. Tapajos

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
Any one else working with these guys?
3655394117_b1aac68c4e_b.jpg

Chromedome

5 Year Member
That is the first photo I've seen of the D. sp. "Tapajos", and I was amazed because the only other time I've seen that species was more than 30 years ago. The photo below was taken in 1974 at a friend's house, Mr. Ralph Anderson, who was an extraordinary fish breeder. However, he only got males, as seen in the crappy photo below:

Dicrossus_sp_1974.JPG

A short time later I saw the same fish in Detroit, at the home of Mr. James K. Langhammer, and learned that he had bred them. Unfortunately, they only spawned once and only a few females were surviving, having killed off the lone male. Having just seen males at Ralph's house, I arranged a swap, but it did no good, as neither of them had any subsequent success. Bear in mind, these were two of the greatest hobbyist breeders of the time, and both had already bred small "Crenicara" species prior to this.

Never thought I'd see them again. I hope you have success in breeding these fish. I'll be looking for some myself as soon as I have an income again.

Tom C

5 Year Member
I kept them some years ago. At that time they also where imported under the name Dicrossus sp. "Itaituba".

They bred in soft, peat filtered water with a pH around 5 or a little bit lower.

Here you see a female with 85 eggs on an oak leaf:

resizeimage.aspx

Very smart place to deposit the eggs; after I several times disturbed her by approaching very close with my camera, she just pulled the leaf with the eggs further back in the tank and out of sight for me.

This species seems to have a very strong "biological clock"; the wild fish only spawned the second week of May every year. When the offspring grew up, they spawned the second week of May and the second week of October!

Good luck with yours!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….