• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus sp. "tapajos"

finzz

5 Year Member
Hello all; I just found this site as I was looking for information on this species and I'm very glad I did. Great site!

I've been seeing D. "tapajos" available from time to time lately, though pretty high in price. I don't know anyone that's bred the species and wonder if anyone here has the experience. Before I spend the money on the fish I'd like to know a little about what I'm up against. I've had very good luck with D. filamentosus and maculatus.

Thanks in advance
Don

Tom C

5 Year Member
I kept them some years ago. At that time they also where imported under the name Dicrossus sp. "Itaituba".

They bred in soft, peat filtered water with a pH around 5 or a little bit lower.

Here you see a female with 85 eggs on an oak leaf:

resizeimage.aspx

A very smart place to deposit the eggs; after I several times disturbed her by approaching very close with my camera, she pulled the leaf with all the eggs further back in the tank, and out of sight for me.

This species seems to have a very strong "biological clock"; in my tank the wild fish only spawned the second week of May every year. When the offspring grew up, they spawned the second week of May and the second week of October!
Others have had similar experiences.

It's a very nice fish, and easy to breed if you provide them with the kind of water they need.

resizeimage.aspx

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….