• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus filamentosus

Bilbo

5 Year Member
We have just had notice that some very cool company has imported a limited number of Checkerboard Cichlids into the country. I have seen these only once before and then only males.

They are $40 each and to small to sex and only 15 total have been imported.

I have been told that if I get 2 or more then the biggest will become a male so a pair is more or less assured but I have found a lot of contradictory advice about this. Can anyone confirm a sex change to make a pair?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There is no proven report that Dicrossus species change sex like Crenicara punctulatum. My suggestion is to buy the largest fish on which, hopefully, the caudal fin appears squared off/truncated on the posterior edge and shows some hints of a pattern. This should be a male. Then look carefully for any fish with red ventral fins. This definitely will be a female who has previously spawned. Otherwise try to find a moderate sized fish with a more rounded posterior edge on the caudal fin and no pattern. Then pray!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….