• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Depressed Apistogramma

Will

Sounds weird, I know, but this is something I’ve always been curious about and recent event have further it even more. Recently the male from my long time pair of A. Cacatuoidies passed away from age. Since then the female has been dark colored, slow moving, less food driving, and over all “sad” looking. So my question is do apistogramma (particular pairs) become “depressed” after loosing a mate? Or is it simply the lack of mating colors and drive that comes when the competition/opposite sex is present?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerald

5 Year Member
It might also be due to some slow-growing infection or organ failure that old fish tend to get. Whatever killed the male might also be affecting her.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Since A. cacatuoides don't have mates, it's unlikely that she is missing her mate. Are there other fish in her tank with which she can interact? If not, she simply is not being stimulated.

Will

Since A. cacatuoides don't have mates, it's unlikely that she is missing her mate. Are there other fish in her tank with which she can interact? If not, she simply is not being stimulated.

There is a school of 10 panda cories in there, so I’d assume she’s getting some interaction. I think it’s more me mourning the loss then the fish... ah well, maybe adding some pencils or tetras would keep her happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….