• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Confirm Sex Plz

BigDaddyAdo

5 Year Member
I picked up a couple of Panduro recently and was just after confirmation on sexing them.

Male?

zechTyh.jpg

Female?

148jNx8.jpg

I greatly appreciate your help.

Cheers

Ado

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Your female is a female. The male i am not sure about.
With the usual disclaimer that I'm not very good at this, but the same view as @chris1805. I think the male is probably a male, and the female is definitely a female.

They look really pale, I don't know if the flash has washed them out, but I'd expect more colour in both fish.

cheers Darrel

BigDaddyAdo

5 Year Member
They have yet to colour up much since i bought them however they are still young.

The top one if about 4cm and the bottom once is slightly larger at maybe 5cm.

I might look at buying a definite male if I spot a nice one assuming i definitely have a female.

chris1805

5 Year Member
The problem for me is that the suspected male has the body form of a female and has black in the ventral fins which is also female.. however from what i have heard the black is sometimes seen at juvenile males. The suspected male however had the blueish colouration of the male but this could also occur at a tank bred female. The black spot on his belly however, would indicate male. So i am confused haha hopefully some one else can help us out.

BigDaddyAdo

5 Year Member
I am still not sure about these 2. They both seem to have male and female traits.

If you have a look at this video his male has the patch on its side:

Skip to 7:45

I am more than happy to go and buy a new male if I definitely have a female already or visa versa.

At what size would you expect them to show their full adult colour?

Apsnake

I agree I think they have the sexes right with these! Female is deffo female I'd take a guess that male is male too I have seen these sp a couple times and males look very similar maybe different colour strains

chris1805

5 Year Member
although it is hard to id from a video, i think the male now is definitely a male to me. Maybe if you get a few pictures again of the male we can confirm it's a male.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….