• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Compatability of Macmasteri

vie

Hi, I'm new to dwarf cichlids, not fishkeeping. I decided to try keeping a few in my 20 gallon community tank. The only fish in my tank are blue eyed rainbows and one female betta who pretty much minds her own business. I got two females and one male from an online source. They started out fine but I did notice one of the females was a bit aggressive with the smaller female and male. The male died within a week. It wasn't clear to me whether he was bullied to death or wasn't well. I thought it was the latter so I tried buying a male from my lfs. The moment he entered the tank, the one female went after him. I couldn't stand to watch so after a week I rehomed her. I thought everything would be alright but now the smaller female is going after the male and he hides most of the time. I don't think he'll make it if I don't remove her, too. Am I doing something wrong or are these cichlids better off alone? Everything I read suggested a pair but this is really difficult to watch.

Aquaticloch

First off sorry for your loss, also is this a 20 gallon tall or a 20 gallon long? This matters a lot, as the footprint is much more important than water volum.

yukondog

5 Year Member
Welcome johnathongardner, are you sure you have a M/F? If you could provide pictures it would help, but I can say I have a M/F [agassizii] and she is hell on wheels, you might try another female or rearrange the tank so they both have new territory's.

vie

My tank is more of a cube, so I understand that that would be a problem. I am sure a have a female and male. Had I known all of this, I would have just bought a male and been happy with it. I much prefer the coloring of the males so it is ironic that the females are the killers in this scenario. For what it's worth, I wish there had been more info on keeping these cichlids. I really only wanted one fish but everything suggested pairs. I did a lot of research because I was concerned there would be problems. Everything I read suggested apistos are much less aggressive than their South African cousins. From what I'm experiencing, they're pretty vicious fish in a small package.
The male is definitely dying. I may try to remove him and either euthanize with clove oil or return him to the store. Maybe they can save him but I doubt it. I hope if someone reads this thread they think twice before introducing more than one to a smaller tank. It is cruel to subject them to a miserable death.

Attachments

• apisto1.png
    apisto1.png
    275.5 KB · Views: 168
  • apisto 3.png
    apisto 3.png
    669.3 KB · Views: 187

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First, I too hate to see losses like yours. If I made the correct calculations, your tank has 16x16x16"/40x40x40cm sides. Obviously this is too small for most a breeding trio of apistos. One specimen, yes, but definitely not for 3 in most cases. Yes, apistos are small cichlids and like almost all cichlids are territorial. They will try to defend a personal territory, but they are not vicious fish - unless put into a situation that forces them to be. I do not know where you got your information, but IMHO the average web site (on most thing, depending on the author) is no more reliable than 'news stories' in gossip/sensation papers found at grocery store check-out stand. One is better off reading a book about apistos. Apisto keepers here at apisto.com have known my mantras (from 40+ years of keeping apistos): "A community tank is not a breeding tank" and for beginners with apistos, "Each apisto should have a territory 12"/30cm in diameter with visual boundaries separating territories", and last, "If you want a happy community tank add a male " and no it will not be lonely. If you are willing to try an apisto again, I suggest you get only 1 male of your choice as a showy center piece fish - and, like any other fish, quarantine before adding to an established community. Good luck.

vie

Mike, thank you for your advice. I wish I'd taken it sooner. Having said that, I removed the second female. She is back at my lfs. As for the male, I think he is still alive but I haven't seen him. He took up residence in my bonsai ornament. Hopefully, after a few days he will find the courage to come out. They are beautiful fish and I would have been happy with a single specimen from the beginning.
I realize that tank setups create the opportunity for aggression. Unfortunately, most info on the web is bad and sellers are only too happy to tell you whatever will give them the opportunity to sell more fish, to the detriment of the fish. At least in my case, most casualties (I think) have been avoided!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….