• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cockatoo Colony

nc_nutcase

5 Year Member
Does anyone here have first hand experience of keeping colonies of Apistogramma Cacautoides?

Here is a summary my brief experience…

I received 21 (6 M, 15 F) Apistogramma Cacautoides from Dave Soares 5-6 weeks ago. I specifically asked him to pick males from one batch and females from another to allow for stronger offspring. I have no interest in being a fish breeder, but will share any surviving offspring with members of my local fish club.

I was thrilled that I received 21 fish that all survived shipping and appeared to adapt to my tanks quite well. 2 trios (1 M, 2 F) were put in 20 gallon tanks in the house and the remaining 15 (4 M, 11 F) were put in a 125 Gallon tank in the fish room.

The 125 Gal contains: 15 Cockatoos, 1 Adult Female Ram, 20’ish Fancy Guppies, 12’ish Neons, 1 Black Ghost Knife, 4-5 Clown Loaches and a 5.5 inch Severum (oddly docile, he gets bullied by the 1.5 inch Female Ram who seems to want to mate with him… it’s hilarious). The colony of Apistos is my focus in the tank and any tank mates which challenge their well being will be transferred. I have plenty of other places to put them. I’ve lost 2 female Cockatoos so far to unknown reasons (aggression ruled out due to bodies being fully in tact).

Thus far the Males in the 20 Gallon tanks (which also house a few Fancy Guppies) have amazing coloration where the ones in the 125 are growing nicely, yet are a bit dull in color. The 20 Gals have dark sand (black in one, blue in the other) where the 125 gal has light tan sand. The over half of the females in the 125 Gal have ‘yellowed up’ yet the females in the 20 Gals haven’t. No one has shown signs of mating (I know they’re still young).

Both the 20 Gals and the 125 Gal are moderately planted, properly filtered and well maintained. All mentioned tanks have ample hiding areas as well as open area. PH is a high 6 in all tanks (I’m not a fan of altering PH and related parameters; this is what it comes out of my tap at). None of the mentioned tanks have shown any Ammonia or NitrIte since the Apistos have arrived and Nitrates rarely break 20ppm, never exceed 40ppm (I baby these tanks).

I’m thinking of swapping some females from the Colony with the females in the 20 Gals to allow the more brilliant colored males the best breeding opportunities. Good idea or not?

I suspect the males in the 20 Gals have better coloration due to the darker substrate and the fact there isn’t a massive Severum intimidating them (Again, the Sev shows zero aggression to anyone but I’m sure his size alone makes them leery. They do not seem to hide or run from him at all though). What other factors may impact their coloration?

Diet is my next question… they all live off of a frozen food diet (primarily bloodworm and Brine Shrimp with a couple ‘variety packs’ thrown in). I typically feed the Guppies and Neons a few flakes to offset their appetites when the frozen food hit’s the water. I’ve seen a couple of the Apistos in the 125 nibble at flakes but not much. Is this an ‘ideal’ diet for them? Without hatching baby brines is there anything I could do to enhance this diet?

Beyond that, I would like to hear anyone’s experience with keeping comparable Colonies of Cacautoides. I had a smaller group in a 55 Gal about a year ago and the largest male killed off the other 2 males and half of the females. I was leery of setting this tank up but was ready to give each male his own smaller tank to share with a few females. I hope to never have to do this but will if necessary.

I just wanted to give myself a chance to learn from others experiences and possibly share mine as well. I know this set up is too new to rely on it’s success thus far, but at the same time… so far so good!

C

Capt. Hooked

I have quite a few, I suppose I should take a count. Mine are orange flash and gold. I started with a 65 gallon, now moving into a 75 gallon....as I am typing this the water is heating up.

I keep only Apistogramma and Discus in the tank. I am suprised to hear about the other tank mates....quite honestly I wouldnt mix them....the Ghost and Severum...with dwarfs? Hey I am keeping mine with Discus and high temps are an issue so dont mind me... :) :wink:

The new 75 will be Apistogramma centric....not such high temps. I setup this tank for my new colony of cacs. Right now I have a two VERY nice orange flash and gold males, a recently blossomed female orange flash. I have a 20L with a new arrivals...mostly females...orange flash and gold cacs.

I have noticed if space is tight and more then one male is present you will most likely get an alpha male....the other will have less coloring...show off less..this could be your issue.

Cant say Ive used bloodworms for my Apistos, but I do feed a high protein diet. Ive only had one problem so far and I am not sure if it is my diet, hardness or what...it was quite a mystery and all of the other fish were fine...my Discus were even spawning few days later. Perhaps this type of dwarf didnt like a certain parameter or diet.

Sorry I am not too much help. I am fairly new to this fish.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
nc they came from 2 125 gallon tanks that I use to grow them out--the tanks are bare, but contain around 200-250 fish each. The lineage was getting kind of used up so I got some really nice fish from Frank Wilhelm in Germany last year and threw them into the mix, I have to say I am really happy with the results, I am getting about 80-85% of the males with caudal. dorsal and anal coloration that is complete. I have never had this before. So--your fish have great gene's running around there too! As far as diet is concerned try to get some cyclop-ese or some frozen dyclops and throw that in there too--foods that are high in carotnids are red enhancing.

AdamT

5 Year Member
Heya, I'm also trying to get a colony up and going. I'm using Apisto Trifasciata, and I'm going to try to get them into a 55. To that end I'm intending to go out to some local lakes trying to collect as much driftwood as possible, and really pack my 55 with the stuff. It is possible that I might not find enough, or that I might not be able to get it to sink. In either of those cases I'll start chopping up 8ft lengths of PVC and carpeting the tank with 'em. Either way, the main issue I expect to deal with is space / density, and dealing with it in a way that hopefully has some aesthetic value (though the 55 isn't my primary show tank, and aesthetics can be sacrificed).

Sounds like with your 125 you won't have to worry about that so much. I would worry in your situation about the ghost knife and the severum, but if you say it's cool then good luck to ya. As far as diet I feed flake daily, then I go with various frozen once or twice a week. I also use Kent Vita. I don't get really intense breeding or rearing, but enough that my population is generall increasing.

As far as your colorful vs. dull males I would rather expect the lone males to color up as kings of their tanks, while the males in the community have to deal with being part of a power structure. For fun, try dropping one of your tank males into your community and watch the fireworks as your fish try to sort out who is on top. This, uh, isn't guaranteed to be 100% safe for your fish...

Have you gotten any breeding behavior yet? Don't forget that a breeding site is important. Mine like to go in these little ceramic logs from my LFS - they're small enough to keep the algae eater out. Other fishkeepers like flowerpots, but they don't seem small enough to give the defensive benefit.

nc_nutcase

5 Year Member
I ended up swapping some females around to offset aggression and left only one female in each 20 Gal along with one male. Within a week after the swap I now have two 20 Gal’s with a pair and a batch of fry (about 25-30 fry each). I honestly don’t have time right now to help care for them so I’ll do my best to feed them a couple times a day (‘First Bites’ and Live Baby Brine Shrimp) and let the parents do their thing. Those who survive I’ll probably just put in the 125 gal for the time being and/or make available to others via my local fish group.

The lack of competition makes a lot of sense as to why my lone males are so much better colored than my colony males. Each set up is wonderful in such different ways. The smaller tanks support breeding and intense coloration where the larger tank with a colony simply offers extremely interesting social interactions. It’s fun watching the females fight mildly over a territory then double team an ‘invading’ male. All in all the fish are very active, often entangling in territorial ‘battles’ but no one has any signs of injury and their ‘aggression’ seems more of a show than a fight (actually appears playful).

As far as concerns for the tank mates in the 125 Gal… I would never suggest anyone keep a Sev with Dwarves and I only did so after watching him get beat up in each of my other Cichlid tanks. This one is freakishly docile. The Black Ghost Knife is very young (3-4 inches total) and will be transferred into another tank before he becomes a threat to the Apistos. I count the Neons daily (well, almost daily) and figure either fish (Sev or BGK) will start eating them before the larger Apistos (at least I hope so!)

Thanks a bunch for your input and thanks Dave for supplying such gorgeous fish! I’ve kept big Cichlids for years but have only started toying with Dwarves in the last 12-18 months. I never thought such a small fish could capture so much of my attention. Too bad I’ve gotten rid of almost all my small tanks in trade for larger ones… guess I’ll have to just get more!!! (more, my favorite word…)

For the moment I’m sticking with feeding them a frozen based diet but will look into a couple of the above suggestions. Thanks again!

nc_nutcase

5 Year Member
Question:

My male Cac’s in this 125 Gal Colony tank have much less color than the males from the same supplier which live in 20 Gal tanks… my question is if at a later time these Colony males are transferred to their own smaller tank with a few females will they then gain the coloration of a confident dominant male? Or will this experience have a life long dulling effect to their coloration and fin development?

C

Capt. Hooked

apistodave said:
nc they came from 2 125 gallon tanks that I use to grow them out--the tanks are bare, but contain around 200-250 fish each. The lineage was getting kind of used up so I got some really nice fish from Frank Wilhelm in Germany last year and threw them into the mix, I have to say I am really happy with the results, I am getting about 80-85% of the males with caudal. dorsal and anal coloration that is complete. I have never had this before. So--your fish have great gene's running around there too! As far as diet is concerned try to get some cyclop-ese or some frozen dyclops and throw that in there too--foods that are high in carotnids are red enhancing.

Hey I got my fish from you!

nc_nutcase

5 Year Member
Okay so I finally got a new cord for my camera…

Here are the two 20 Gals inside…

This is the top one, it doesn’t photograph well…
100_1991.jpg

Here are a few from the bottom tank…
100_2001.jpg
100_2002.jpg

If you look real close in the plants there are 2 day old fry…
Femalewithfry.jpg

Please forgive the mess in the bottom tank (blue sand) they have fry in the tank so I've been doing frequent small water changes but skipping the vacuuming until I'm ready to pull the fry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….