1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Clever idea

Discussion in 'Husbandry / Breeding' started by Apistomaster, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Apistomaster

Apistomaster Member 5 Year Member

Marle, username on www.aquaticquotient.com forum, uses an excellent technique for removing unwanted dither fish after Apistogramma have spawned in a small flower pot. Before disturbing the brooding female, a larger flower pot is placed over the smaller one allowing the removal of dither fish you may not want to leave around the free swimming larvae without causing any undue alarm to the brooding female.
    I thought this idea was too good not to mention it here. I wish I had thought of it myself long ago.
  2. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

Truly, an excellent idea!
  3. gingerbeer

gingerbeer Member 5 Year Member

Great idea - thanks.
  4. ste12000

ste12000 Member 5 Year Member

Ive done something similar in the odd times that a female has spawned again while she already has juveniles in her tank, wait until she is in her cave(mine always have a small entrance) then push sand over the entrance, quickly remove the decor, catch the older juvenile fish and remove some of the rubbish disturbed in the commotion. Top the water back up, add the decor back and then slowly dig out the cave entrance with my finger, the female does not have a clue whats happened and go's on to raise her fry with no problems.