• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cleaner fish

nir_tza

5 Year Member
Hi guys,
does any of you have some kind of cleaner fish in the breeding tanks, and if so who is the best?
Thanks..

Bilbo

5 Year Member
I dont like using cleaner fish in case they clean up on fry but I would think that an otto might be ok or just use snails.

I have had fry in a tank with some cory fry that were a few weeks older and that worked ok.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I've used Red Cherry Shrimps and MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails), although someone else had problems with shrimps eating their Angel Fish fry (I'm not convinced that these were Cherry Shrimps). Otocinclus are fry safe, and I've also had dwarf Cory fry grow out with Apistos.

I got the RCS method from a Killi site, and using MTS was suggested by Ingo Seidel for Plecs.

I usually just leave the female in with the fry now, she does a good job, but you can't keep her with RCS (she will eat them), and she usually removes any MTS from the nest site.

I've also used another Crustacean, Asellus "Water Louse" successfully before I had RCS (the female will also eat these), again I found this on a Killi site.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….