• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

catei, D18 or pucallpaensis

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
After reading all of the comments I have a couple of comments/questions.

It is my understanding that BBS do not have any yolk remaining after hatching. Is this correct? Has anyone seen a yolk sack on a newly hatched shrimp?

I prefer to use organisms that do not live in freshwater mainly because they are less likely to carry diseases/parasites found in freshwater. This means my preferences are either terrestrial or saltwater.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
It is my understanding that BBS do not have any yolk remaining after hatching. Is this correct? Has anyone seen a yolk sack on a newly hatched shrimp?
The nauplii emerge from their cysts with the yolk sac attached, and they deplete the yolk within 24 - 48 hours post hatch. It's thought that this is the reason the caloric value decreases during this time period: https://digitalcommons.uri.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1085&context=srhonorsprog

Whether the sac itself can be seen, I don't know.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
what are asellus and can they survive in the tank for a while?
Search the forum for Asellus aquaticus. @dw1305 is a big fan.

One of the big negative of brine shrimp is they tend to have a short life span once put in freshwater and if they are not all eaten can pollute the water.
This is true of almost all foods. If you target feed and feed in moderation, live foods will be eaten more completely than prepared foods.

MacZ

anewbie

The ones in the 5 are no longer skittish and the male has really coloured up nicely - here is an updated picture - he posed for me:
P

In the 29 they are still very skittish - both pairs will eat fluval bug bite now.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Search the forum for Asellus aquaticus. @dw1305 is a big fan.
I am, they are very low maintenance "tank janitors" and capable of surviving even in tanks with Cichlids. They are a "biological model organism", so there is loads if scientific research on them.

I originally heard about them as egg janitors for Corydoras.

cheers Darrel

anewbie

Are Ap. pucalpaensis polygmous or pair forming? Behavior wise they seem somewhat similar to my borelli but a bit shyer - probably because they were wild.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Like most regani-lineage species, in an aquarium with no competition or need to defend a territory, males are opportunistically polygamous if there is more than 1 female. Otherwise they will settle for a single female. This is what I consider 'casually polygamous'.

anewbie

Like most regani-lineage species, in an aquarium with no competition or need to defend a territory, males are opportunistically polygamous if there is more than 1 female. Otherwise they will settle for a single female. This is what I consider 'casually polygamous'.
Thanks Mike; I find it confusing that they are a regani-lineage; yet were placed in their own genus. Also which lineage are pair forming (if there is such a lineage) ?

anewbie

Ok from your article on Tom's website it sounds like steindachneri-group are the only pair forming apistogramma - or perhaps there are others but that was the only one mentioned.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I do not believe any lineage is totally non-polygamous, but the steindacheri-lineage - particularly the steindacneri-group is close. I also avoid trying to say "pair forming". I prefer 'breeding pair'. To me forming a pair in apistos is not necessarily permanent.

anewbie

I changed the 5 into a 10 so this is their new home. They remain some what shy so I will add some more ember tetra as dithers. In the 29 I have the 2nd pair. The 29 is more of a community tank and that pair has gotten quite bold.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kschwarze

Latest profile posts

Apistomaster wrote on anewbie's profile.
I see that The Wet Spot Tropical Fish currently has the fire red A. agassizi you are looking for. Here is the link:
I've always had good experiences buying from them on line.
Hallo,
I am Hanzle from Holland and keep apistoos for 40 years. Had my own aquarium shop from 1984 till 1988. Always s great fan from apistoos and hyphessobrycon which is s great combination in a Community Aquarium. Perhaps.....in the near future I start breeding apistoos again. Have a 400 liters Community aquarium for hyphessobrycon wadai and apistogramma biteaniata.
I want to get a 55 gallon slightly planted tank with many caves and I am thinking of getting 2 electric blue acaras, 3 blue rams, a apistogramma, 3 angelfish, and some corrydoras. Will that work if I keep the temperature at about and 80 or less?
I have kept fish for quite a long time but never cichlids. I want to find out more about them.
Hi
my Hongsloi, keep eating their eggs, any help greatly appreciated