• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can some one tell about shipping from US to Canda

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
I've got a sell on some Cockato's and the guy wants me to ship them to Cananda from the US. Is there something I have to have frist? Are could I just ship them str8 to him?

Fast responce would really help out. Thanks Les

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'd talk to Apistodave (David Soares). I am sure he would know. Shipping livestock leagally will probably require import license, inspection fees, etc. Many Canadians who live near the US border have their fish shipped to a nearby US post office where they pick them up and take them back over the border themselves. Of coure (& I cannot leagally recommend it) you could lie & mail the as something else & hope the Canadian authorities don't "catch on" and confiscate them.

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
LOL LMAO I here that sh_ _ . I have found afew things today. That shows me there's no way for me alone to do this. It will run around $200 to $300 for me to ship them to him. So anybody in Canada want to make some money for 1m,4f cockato full or double reds at $70.00 for them. Oh I guess I need to make another post on that part HUH? LOL

Thanks guy.

algaefarmer

5 Year Member
There are no restrictions on importing tropical aquarium fish into Canada, and no license is needed. The only exceptions are for fish that are meant to be released into ponds, used in outdoor aquaculture, or on the CITES list. The province of British Columbia also requires a license for koi and carp imports.

Here's the official info from Fisheries and Oceans Canada (the Ministry responsible for live aquatic species imports):
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/aquaculture/ornamental_e.htm

I've had aquarium fish mailed to me (in Canada) from the US and South America on occasion for years without a single problem from Customs. Go ahead and mail your fish, just clearly label the package as live ornamental aquarium fish (perhaps adding the species name is a good idea too). Be aware though that your customer will probably have to pay duty fees, but that goes for everything imported into Canada.

fishfarm

5 Year Member
It's simple. Put an invoice on the OUTSIDE of the box stateing what's inside and how many and the value . i.e.
Live tropical fish
Apistogramma cacautiodes
4 @ $15 Total $60.
Go down to Fed-ex fill out the international shipping form and send them off. I do it all the time to Canada and Puerto Rico. Ken

Boupette

5 Year Member
Couple of days ago I wrote Toyin Ojo on AquaBid to tell me about shipping in Québec, Canada. Here's his reply: "$35 for express mail. Live arrival guaranteed as long as box is delivered within 2-3 days."

Hélène

algaefarmer

5 Year Member
fredmir1 said:
What type of mailing company did you use to have fishes shipping to Canada??

George

Most recently I had fish shipped from the US to Canada by DHL - expensive but very fast (24 hours from Carolina to BC). In the past I've had them shipped here by regular overnight express USPS and FedEx, both of which took about 48 hours.

As for shipping from Canada to the US, I have no idea - never done it and I have no idea about the importation restrictions that the US government puts on fish, if any.

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
I checked around before when someone in the States wanted some of my fish. None of the carriers (UPS, FedEx, etc) would accept live fish to go into the US. Actually, they even said they wouldn't take dead fish either! It would be interesting to know how people who do send fish from Canada to the US do it.

fishfarm

5 Year Member
Never had a problem, the counter help doesn't know the regs and usually could care less. Take the box down, fill out the form and send them off. Ken

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
algaefarmer said:
There are no restrictions on importing tropical aquarium fish into Canada, and no license is needed. The only exceptions are for fish that are meant to be released into ponds, used in outdoor aquaculture, or on the CITES list. The province of British Columbia also requires a license for koi and carp imports.

Here's the official info from Fisheries and Oceans Canada (the Ministry responsible for live aquatic species imports):

I've had aquarium fish mailed to me (in Canada) from the US and South America on occasion for years without a single problem from Customs. Go ahead and mail your fish, just clearly label the package as live ornamental aquarium fish (perhaps adding the species name is a good idea too). Be aware though that your customer will probably have to pay duty fees, but that goes for everything imported into Canada.

What he says!!!!!

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
algaefarmer said:

Well that takes care of the Canadian side but what does George Bush want you to do to ship fish up there? There are hoops. I have an export license and its not easy let me tell you--vet certs and f and w inspection (54.00) there alone. I ship to Blaine WA general delivery and let them come across and pick them up like Mike said.

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
Ok I sent the package throw USPS express mail. Just like everyone said. Marked on the pack clear and in large black letter Live ornamental aquarium fish, JUst like stated in post. Pack-age was returned with a shipping label and 3 stamps on it. Return to sender for aquic export or import lincing # and regerstration permits.

FISH DEAD. 6 days in customs. How is it someone can do it and others can't. Do they just pick out randum packages for this?

cdawson

5 Year Member
algaefarmer said:
Most recently I had fish shipped from the US to Canada by DHL - expensive but very fast (24 hours from Carolina to BC). In the past I've had them shipped here by regular overnight express USPS and FedEx, both of which took about 48 hours.

As for shipping from Canada to the US, I have no idea - never done it and I have no idea about the importation restrictions that the US government puts on fish, if any.

FYI DHL is about the worst courier service you could possibly use in canada, as is UPS. You're better off shipping US priority post so that either purolator or canada post picks up on it.

DHL loses packages like there's no tomorrow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….