• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can some one ID this Apistogramma

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Video link works on the other "thread in the wrong place thread", it looks like a male red domestic macmasteri type, but the video is very pixelated.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It doesn't look like A. cinilabra to me. A. sp. Rotkeil/Red-wedge is not the same species either. This was the name commonly used for A. uaupesi. A. cinilabra was orginally introduced to the hobby as A. sp. Schwarzbrust/Black-breast and commecially sold under the name A. sp. Roterpunkt/Redder-spot (not the same as A. sp. Rotpunkt). From what I can see in the video, the fish has a double caudal blotch. My guess is that it is a male A. sp. Roca Eterna.

tompoz

As some of you may remember, I got this female, probably A. sp. "Masken":

dsc02419c.jpg

I started to wonder if this is not A. cinilabra? My LFS where I got this fish has just filled up the stock (from the same importer as previously) and I can see females looking exactly like mine labeled as cinilabra.

Males look like this (sorry for quality but I only had my phone with me):

img2011101600141.jpg

img2011101600147.jpg

What do you guys think?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your male fish looks like A. cinilabra to me. The other fish seems different: light interstitial area between caudal spot and lateral band, narrower light areas between vertical bars, and longer/narrower caudal spot. Of course I base this only on 1 photo. I could be wrong.

tompoz

Mike, here are other pictures of this female which you previously identified as probably A. sp. Masken.
Can you take another look?

dsc02420c.jpg

dsc02421f.jpg

dsc02422e.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It looks like a regani-complex species to me. The only regani-complex species that is known to occur in Peru is A. sp. Masken. Both A. cinilabra and A. sp. Masken are found near Iquitos - but not together. It is possible that the species were mixed sometime after being collected. I could be wrong, of course, since I have only seen 2 photos of this fish.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….