• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can i keep agassizi and cacatuoides pairs in the same tank?

samwood26

i have a 180l planted tank with plenty of caves , can i keep a pair of cacatuoides and agassizi in the same tank or will they fight . There are other fish in the tank like tetras fighting fish gourami platys etc.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome to the apisto forum. Your tank probably is large enough, but it really depends on how you decorate it. You need to form territorial boundaries and break up any line-of-sight problems. Do a search here. It has been discussed many times in the past.

Mol_PMB

The Apistos might be OK together with suitable territorial boundaries, but you also mentioned a fighting fish (presumably a male Betta?)
That might start a war with a long-finned Apisto.

jumpmaster

Agassizii and the betta will eventually kill each other. Horatio and the agassazii went at it in my tank

samwood26

They seem ok ive had them in together now a month . Theres a male and female fighting fish .The male cacatuoides doesnt show any agression to any of my other dwarf cichlids (rams , mendezi,double red). What would happen if i put a young pair of agassizii in ?.

danbb

I keep agassizi and cacatuoides in one 200 l tank and they are not ok with each other. I think that the personality of each fish matter, in my case cockatoo are loosers for the moment. I find agassizi too aggresive comparing to cockatoo.

Mol_PMB

The problem will come when either the fighter or the apistos are in a breeding mood. At that time, the male and female fighters and the apistos are at risk. It's a bit of a time bomb and the fact that it's been OK for a few weeks doesn't mean that there won't be carnage soon.
It can depend on the personality of the individual fish, but the more you put in there the higher the risk of problems I'm afraid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….