• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Camera recommendations

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
I am thinking about taking the plunge and getting a REAL digital camera to take some nice pictures. I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations, maybe a top 3 list? I've heard good things about Canon and Nikon, in particular. I'm looking at spending $600-1000...
Steve

Evan

5 Year Member
In that price range you can afford to get a decent digital SLR. Here are some thoughts in no particular order.

- Stick with Canon or Nikon. Remember that with SLR's you are not just buying a camera you are buying into a camera system. These two manufacturers dominate market share and have the largest systems.
- Remember that the camera body itself is not the usually the thing that has the biggest impact on your pictures. Lens and flash tend to have a bigger part in your overall picture taking.
- Consider buying a recent model used camera body. You can save a lot of money this way.
- Be sure to hold each body in your hand before you buy it. What is comfortable each person will vary so you should definitely check them out in person.
- In your price range I would try to either get an overhead flash or a macro lens depending on what type of fish you shoot most often.

I hope that helps a little. If you narrow it down a little more I am sure we can help with more specific comparisons.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
- Stick with Canon or Nikon. Remember that with SLR's you are not just buying a camera you are buying into a camera system. These two manufacturers dominate market share and have the largest systems.

How odd. Both TomC and I use Pentax (K20D) and David Soares uses an Olympus. Ted uses a Nikon. Others use Canon, Fuji, and even Leica. I suggest that you buy the best that you can afford. I bought Pentax for 2 reason: 1) I've always had a Pentax camera and am very happy with them and their lenses. I am even able to use my screw-thread lenses that I bought 40 years ago on it - something you can't do with other brands:biggrin:. 2) for MY money I couldn't buy another camera brand with the feature on my camera.

- Remember that the camera body itself is not the usually the thing that has the biggest impact on your pictures. Lens and flash tend to have a bigger part in your overall picture taking.

This is true, but remember that you aren't restricted to the OEM's lenses or flashes. Some third party lens/flash manufacturer's equipment is on par and even better than equivalent OEM equipment. Nikon, Canon, & Pentax use some third party lens/flash designs under their own name plate.

- Consider buying a recent model used camera body. You can save a lot of money this way.

This is a good idea if you are experienced with digital cameras. Digital cameras are mostly electronics and are more like TVs and audio equipment than traditional film cameras. Ask yourself if you're comfortable using used complex electronic equipment. If you are, do it! If not, buy peace of mind and buy new.

- Be sure to hold each body in your hand before you buy it. What is comfortable each person will vary so you should definitely check them out in person.

Yes! If it isn't comfortable in your hands or the buttons aren't logically placed for you, then you won't want to use it as much.

- In your price range I would try to either get an overhead flash or a macro lens depending on what type of fish you shoot most often.

I don't think that you'll get competent camera plus macro and external flash for less than $900 - $1000. I suggest that you look at reviews at web sites like Photozone (http://www.photozone.de/) and Digital Photo Review (http://forums.dpreview.com) to narrow down which camera system would be best for your needs and pocketbook. Then go out and handle the top 2 or 3 that interest you.

I hope that helps a little. If you narrow it down a little more I am sure we can help with more specific comparisons.

ditto

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Here are my suggestions on what to look for an avoid:

1) Look for a system that permits you to use a flask on a remote system. This allows you to put flashes over the tank and not have to deal with flashback from the onboard flash. Canon has one of the better built in remote (infrared) flash triggering systems. Higher-end Nikon cameras do to, (but not the less expensive hobbyist-dslr models like D40, 60, 80 or 200). I do nto know about other brands. Get two external flashes.

2) Get a camera that will record in RAW (or NEF).

3) Do not pay extra for video. Most dslr camera lenses do not gather the light needed to shoot video effectively.

4) Avoid cameras with proprietary lenses, like the Nikon D40 or D60. The Nikon D80 and up can use any Nikon lens (excpet those just for the D40 & D60). THis is important because there are some very good lenses made by Tamron that are less expensive than Nikon lenses. Plus there are a LOT of Nikon lenses that are useful but are not made for the D40/D60 system.

5) Put a lot of thought into your lens. I suggest somthing like the Nikon 18-105 mm auto focus lens, and if you can get a lens with vibration reduction even better. I have several lenses ranging from the basic 18-55 mm lens kits come with, 100mm+ macro lenses and 300mm zoom telephoto lenses. Waste of money... the 18-105mm lens works for everything from small fish to lanscapes. The only thing I am considering is getting the same lens in wide angle (mostly for travel photography, but I bet it would be a cool lens for large aquariums). If you go to a reputable camera shop you can probably get them to make a kit for you. Nikon has a D300 kit with the 18-135 mm lens for about $2200 new. (that is Nikons latest/greatest hobbyist dslr though)

I do not agree that you will be able to get set up for less than $1000. Used Nikon D80 bodies (the body I use) are still running $500. The lens I suggested (18-105mm AF VR) used is about $250. Good external flashes are $250 - $400. Miscellaneous stuff adds up too. The Nikon D80 does not permit infrared remote flash, so it is not a camera I would get again (I am ready to upgrade!).

I shop this website for used equipment a lot: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Ted

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
I also am looking for a camera but i couldnt pay more then 270$. How much is a pentax? Tom C takes amazing pictures with his, how much would that camera run for? I just want a smaller camera with a large lense, manual setting that takes clear photos of my apistos, prefurably it would be as fast as the standard dslr.Does my dream camera exist?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hudson,

I don't think that you will be able to buy a decent digital single lens reflex (dslr) camera for less than $400 new. The Pentax K20D that Tom uses now sell for around $700 in the US. It is considered a camera for the serious amateur/semi-pro. One of features that makes it work well in tropical areas, is the weather sealing on the body and some lenses. I know that my camera worked fine even after getting caught in the rain and sitting in wet parts (pools actually!) on the boats that we used. I don't recommend doing this to any camera! Tom also brought a very nice point and shoot Canon camera that didn't have weather sealing. On some occasions it had problems when it got damp. You might first want to consider want feature you really need. Then either save up some more money or look into some of the better P&S cameras that have good macro ability. If I were in your shoes, I would look for a Pentax K200D - a good ameteur dslr with weather sealing. This is a discontinued model, but can be found for around $400-$500 in the US. Pentax is also coming out with weather resistant kit lens (18-55 and 50-200mm "WR") for a reasonable price in July.

I suggest that you do some homework first.

Gordon C. Snelling

5 Year Member
On the strictly digital not DSLR level I have a Sony DSC 707, this line of Cameras (505, 707, 717, 828) was for some reason short lived. They are fantastic Cameras and I am not sure why Sony did not keep the line going. They have very good optics, Zeiss lenses. I have generally had very good results with the camera and take a lot of insect photos with mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….