• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

camallanus worms

TK27

Hello everyone,

I have a question about camallanus worms. Some time ago I took a apisto cacatouides male from my sisters boyfriend. He was really aggressive in his tank, so I took it. Things seem to be alright now(less fish, more space). My sisters boyfriend found out he has those nasty worms in his tank. My apisto male was in that tank, so im really worried now. I also grow up the fry I find in my community tanks. My endlers share the same water as my male apisto. My other tank should be fine because they didnt share water. I had some endler fry and moved them into my grow up tank(with the swordtail and apisto fry from my other tank). Should I be worried about an infection? The timing of me taking the apisto and the known development of those worms, I could be in the wrong range of time.. Im just really worried about my tanks. for now my fish are looking good. I just need to know if I need to do anything.

Thanks for reading,

TK27

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, I would be concerned. This worm lays eggs that fish - especially bottom dwellers - pick up from the gravel. Levamisole HCL is the most recommended treatment.

TK27

Thanks Mike, my local fish store will hook me up with something. I can't remember exactly but I think it's the same as what you mentioned. It also fits the description of what he told me after I did a Google search on it. I hope everything will be fine.

TK27

Hello everyone,

I have completed my threatment with levamisole. I think im on the safe side right now. I do think i have been lucky. My fish didnt seem to be sick. Only one of my tetras died, but it wasnt too weird. Some fry (3 I think) died too, but its not that weird if fry die I guess, I have seen this before without this treatment so I didnt think of it as much. I added the medication 2 times. I boiled my gravel 2 times. I think i made my chances big enough to beat this worm. I kept an close eye out for all my fish, havnt seen anything pass out of my fish. My sisters boyfriend is still not done. he lost a few fish already, and still having problem with his fish. I hope I managed to escape this nightmare worm.

Greetings,

TK27

Happyfins

Hi,
I have had extensive experience with this nightmare nematode. Levamisole works, 2 treatments 3 weeks apart. There are instructions by Charles Harrison from inkmkr online. Last time I had a resistant strain and I got rid of it by doubling the recommended dose which the fish (and especially shrimp) do not like but it worked. Quarantine is the only solution in my opinion and unfortunately from first hand experience 3 months was not enough so I would advise 6 months. Sentinel fish which who nematodes readily would be a good addition to the quarantine tank (guppies, endlers). I would advise you to wait for 6 months before assuming your tank is cured. Sorry!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….