• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Camallanus Worm!! Yikes!

Hmoobthor

I have no clue what this was when it was coming out of my fishes ass!

Until I research and found the name of it by then I have lost 1 ram, 1 keyhole and most of my fish have show the worm in their ass. Even my new A. Cac.

With swollen anus and red like thread coming out its butt.

I have found the cure of Levamisole HCL that will kill all the worm But with the search of driving around town in feed store looking for them it was no use.

I also found out that Fenbendazole will kill them too which is found in Safe Guard dog deworm as I was told by a pharmacist. I found Safe Guard pack at petco but it cost 13-20 dollar for 3 type that package. I read some people found it to kill the worm but it cost alot.

When I was doing the research, I found this website that a guy sell Levamisole HCL in pure powder at 5gram that will treat 100 gallon of water. He have instructions on his website on how use to it. I have contact him and have place an order on its way here by Saturday. I place 3 - 5gram of the powder to be use and store from for future use.

Meanwhile I also bought the Jungle Parasite Food medicating that has Levamisole in it but my fish would not eat them ...take a bit or so then spit it out. I been treating them with this for 2 days (as of today) until my meds arrive.

The first fish that die was the ram so it must have gotta it first then pass on.

I will update on what happen later on........

Hmoobthor

I had these really bad one time got my lev. from:

http://www.igopro-online.com/Vermisol-100-Grams-p/vermis100.htm

Got it in 2 days. great service. I think dose was one tsp per 20 gallons. I still have bunch and plan on always keeping it around. you still might end up losing some fish though. sometimes by the time you notice the worms its too late. you also want to use an antibiotic with it. -Bradley

Thanks for the great link!! 100gram!! and nice price on the shipping .way better than where I got from that guy!

I will come that in mind increase I want to order some more later on hand.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Sorry to hear you have Camallanus, they are a real problem because the fish can harbour them for a long time without obvious symptoms, making even a long quarantine for a new fish ineffective.

I used both Flubenol15 and Levamisole when I had them. Flubenol was ineffective, but Levamisole (bought as "Harka Verm" a treatment for cage birds) worked very well.

There is some useful information for dosing etc on "Loaches on-line"
<http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1>.

cheers Darrel

Hmoobthor

Hi all,
Sorry to hear you have Camallanus, they are a real problem because the fish can harbour them for a long time without obvious symptoms, making even a long quarantine for a new fish ineffective.

I used both Flubenol15 and Levamisole when I had them. Flubenol was ineffective, but Levamisole (bought as "Harka Verm" a treatment for cage birds) worked very well.

There is some useful information for dosing etc on "Loaches on-line"
<http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1>.

cheers Darrel

Just got my treatment today when I got home and mix and treat the whole tank as of this noon. I will look and see what happen.

Hmoobthor

UPDATE:

I did the treatment for 3 days 2night.

I remove almost 100% water change on Monday. Man was it alot of work during winter time when we just got hit with 1 feet of snow on the weekend!!!

After adding new water and putting back the fish. My tank looks very weird without the tanning (pretty much all remove) during WC.

The heavily infested ram was not put back in the tank but in a miniature container to be treat again but it didn't make the treatment for the second time as it was pretty bad.

I am not sure how the worm look like or wat as I can't tell but my fish are doing fine again and seem to be moving around ...especially my keyhole which didn't look good for a week.

There is still sign of the worm hanging out or it might be passing through I don't know...i can't really know if it work or not. But I will have to treat it in 3 week again but I am not going to do 100% WC...its too much.

UPDATE #2 12/25 : It been a few week after the treatments. There is no sign of swollen ass and the worm have disappear from my keyhole and my other cacauotoide are showing the same sign. They are alive and eating again.

I am concern about one of my cacauoides as it still poop white stingy that is why the second treating is need this coming week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….