• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Caetei

MacFish

5 Year Member
Thanks Lisa! Another person sent me this link as well. Thanks for getting things started for me.

Just picked up a trio of Apistogramma Caetei at an auction. These are my first Apisto's. Any tips and tricks appreciated. There really isn't too much info on this species online. I've found a little but not much.

They are in my 33 Gal. Temp is 79, pH is 7.2 which I know is a little high for them. Anyone foresee any major problems? I know I will likely have to lower this to get them to breed. I'll be working on that.

Thanks in advance :wink:

MacFish

5 Year Member
Hee hee. That was me :)

Now who are you? Are you the one I started bidding against or the one that started bidding after the first person dropped out?

I really like these little guys and once my wife saw them, it was a done deal. Was hoping to get them a little cheaper. I wouldn't have gone any higher so I'm glad the other guy bowed out :wink:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't know if you have the true A. caetei or not. You see, earlier this year Dr. Jonathan Ready reported on DNA studies of several different geographic populations of caetei-like forms. He determined that, although similar, there were at least 3 distinct species within the populations previously considered A. caetei. This doesn't really matter in your respect because all of the catei-complex species (except A. sp. Araguaia) live in the same type of biotope: whitewater streams and pools along the Atlantic coast of Brazil. They are very adaptable with regards to water conditions. They will even readily breed in moderately hard, slightly basic water. Males are casually polygamous when given the opportunity, but usually pick any single female who accepts him. They are not especially agressive. They are a great beginner's fish.

MacFish

5 Year Member
Very good news! Thanks for the input.

I am going tonight to see if I can get some new plants and dithers to try to coax them out. They are very shy. I still have about 5 HRP babies in with them and the Apistos are really letting them know who's boss. Hopefully, some small schooling tetras will make them feel a little safer and more willing to explore the rest of the tank.

Thanks again. Once I can get them to come out and snap some pics, I will post them here to see if anyone can confirm which species they are.

MacFish

5 Year Member
Ya the other guy was a member of the club and I thought he might be just bidding to get the price up. He did end up winning quite a few others so maybe he really wanted them too. Just funny that he started after you stopped :)

Anyway, it was a ittle more than I wanted to spend but I think it was worth it :tongue:

MacFish

5 Year Member
The bigger female is now looking very yellow. The smaller female has been bright yellow since I put her in the tank. The bigger one and the male seem to be guarding a cave and chasing the other fish out including the smaller female. Interestingly though, the smaller female is helping chase away any other fish.

I hope this means the trio is starting to form. I'll be keeping an eye on this :biggrin:

MacFish

5 Year Member
Sad to say my male is just not into it. Both females are doing their best to win him over but he keeps chasing them away. I've been stuffing them with frozen frozen brine shrimp and blood worms the last week or so and stepped up the water changes. Still no luck :frown:

I am going to get some new pots and move some decorations around to see if that helps.

Any other tips appreciated!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….