• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cacatuoides Triple Red with one white dot on body

Nschicago

Hello

This female has a white dot, looks a lot like a small whitehead pimple, on her body. It has gotten slightly bigger and for sure much whiter like it's going to pop. It's been this way for the last 3 months. I also have 4 younger fish that were fry that I raised. One male, maybe 4 months old also has a white dot like this on the side althought not so raised and prominent yet. Both fish otherwise appear healthy and eat and dance around each other.
Female triple red with white dot.jpg

Is this an internal parasite? Should I dose flubendazole?

Thank you - not sure what I should be doing about this.

gerald

5 Year Member
I would guess it's most likely some type of slow-growing bacterial infection, or maybe a virus like Lymphocystis (but Lymphocystis is more often on fins). I dont think it's likely to be a parasitic worm or protozoan -- the usual target pathogens for flubendazole. But flub does sometimes work against a wide range of diseases. So ... i dunno ... treatment is always a shot in the dark when the disease is uncertain. Kanamycin is another med that might help if it's bacterial.

Nschicago

Thank you gerald. I have been stumped for a long time. I enjoy my triple reds so much and hate to see something happen to them that could have been prevented. I may go with Kanaplex and do a bath (instead of dosing the tank) as I hear it's an antibiotic that is pretty hard on the biological filter. Appreciate the comments.

gerald

5 Year Member
Sorry to say but I dont think a short-term bath will have any effect on a slow-growing internal infection like this. I would move her to a separate tank for treatment if you're concerned about killing the biofilter, and use a long-term treatment, or meds in food.

Nschicago

What kind of long-term treatment do you suggest? I can try meds in the food - I feed them blackworms right now - just need to figure out how to get meds in to the food.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….