• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cacatuoides pair? Or 2 males?

Nschubert

5 Year Member
I recently purchased a pair of appistogramma cacatuoides orange flash. The first picture is of the 2, the second is the "female". They larger one will chase the smaller one around but it's not damaging any fins. Do I have a pair?
95f6b7c6c1a20028dd356c6f70b659de.jpg
1de33a72eee9a2c9d8e0a9d3022a2bbd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Nschubert

5 Year Member
I've never seen dorsal fin spines so long on females as those on your 'female'. My guess is that you have 2 males.
I had heard that females in some of the tank raised orange and red varieties displayed some male characteristics. Guess I'll have to get some real females.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, some domestic strains do have females that develop more masculine features, particularly colors. Fins may show slight extensions, but so do some older wild females.

TCMontium

5 Year Member
I recently purchased a pair of appistogramma cacatuoides orange flash. The first picture is of the 2, the second is the "female". They larger one will chase the smaller one around but it's not damaging any fins. Do I have a pair?
95f6b7c6c1a20028dd356c6f70b659de.jpg
1de33a72eee9a2c9d8e0a9d3022a2bbd.jpg

Sorry to jump in with an unrelated question to the topic, but I can't be sure what your fish at the bottom are. Are they loachs? Gudgeons? Characins (like Darter Characins)? Or a native american bottom-dweller fish (Darterfish?)?

Nschubert

5 Year Member
Sorry to jump in with an unrelated question to the topic, but I can't be sure what your fish at the bottom are. Are they loachs? Gudgeons? Characins (like Darter Characins)? Or a native american bottom-dweller fish (Darterfish?)?
Orangethroat and greenthroat darters caught in Texas

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….