• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cacatuoides male spawning behavior

DBlauj

I have 3 females and 2 out the 3 have turned really yellow. They both seem ready to spawn but the male doesn't seem interested. Do males showcase any spawning behaviour I'm missing out on. He usually curls his tail and thrashes it at the female but nothing else. I was wondering if there are any other spawning behaviours I should look out for? I thought the bigger female laid eggs recently cause she would chase any fish that came close to her cave, but after today she was swimming all over the tank so I decided to check the cave, no eggs. My next option is going to be lowering the ph. right now it's about a 7.6 which I know is high for spawning.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The behavior of your female indicates that she did spawn and then lost the eggs (not uncommon for the first attempt). Your male's tail slapping is typically the final part of apisto courtship - a test of strength/compatibility. Personally, I would try to get the pH below 7 and then have some patience.

DBlauj

With his tail slapping does this force the female into the cave? I noticed they both will do it and then one or the other will swim away. In regards to the pH any ideas on how to lower it and keep it stable?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No, tail slapping is only a test. It does not force either fish into a cave. The best way to lower pH is to use peat and soften the water. With A. cacatuoides, you probably won't need softer water if you can lower the pH by filtering peat through it.

DBlauj

Thanks a lot I will look for some peat moss in hopes of lowering my ph. Jw wondering is it safe to use water softner salt to lower ph? I was thinking maybe dissolve the water in my 10 gal tank with a little tap water? Jus a thought

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
When you use a water softener that exchanges salt(NaCl) for dissolved (bi)carbonates, you double the electrical conductivity. I don't really recommend this. Also, you don't want 'peat moss'; you want sphagnum peat - and one that contains no additives like fertilizers of fungicides. Ask for help at a garden shop. They will know the difference.

DBlauj

Ok thanks a lot I'm gonna swing by my
Local garden shop to see if I can find any. Any specific way to use the moss? I have an Ehiem canister filter, should I just add it into the canister?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't like adding peat to a tank with fish. You have no way to control changes without constant test of the water values. I prefer to filter water through peat in a 'conditioning vat' and mixing tap with the vat's water with every water change.

DBlauj

What is a "conditioning vat" btw? I think I have an idea of what you are talking about though. By filtering the moss into another container you can gage the ph level you want without harming the fish, correct? Then you can add it to your tank. What is the usual ph level you settle for before adding it to the tank?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
What is a "conditioning vat" btw? I think I have an idea of what you are talking about though.

A conditioning vat is any contain used to keep water for water changes. It can be an aquarium or plastic tub.

By filtering the moss into another container you can gage the ph level you want without harming the fish, correct?

Correct

Then you can add it to your tank. What is the usual ph level you settle for before adding it to the tank?

It really depends on the values of your tap water and the species that you want to keep in optimum conditions. I let my treated water drop as low as possible and then mix it with tap water to get the right values. I usually mix a known (small) amount of treated water with a known amount of tap water in a small specimen cup and measure the results. Once I know the correct ratio (treated/tap water), I mix a larger quantity and use as a water change. After a while, you get a good idea of ratios needed without a lot of testing.

CopabX

I'm gonna swing by my Local garden shop to see if I can find any.

I would be cautious about that. Usually the garden stuff has fertilizers and pesticides. The Home Depot by me even had copper in theirs because they stacked fencing on top...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is a good reason to go to a real garden shop and ask for sphagnum peat without any additives. 'Big box home improvement centers' may be less expensive, but knowledge is not their forte. You get what you pay for.

CopabX

'Big box home improvement centers' may be less expensive, but knowledge is not their forte. You get what you pay for.

I always try to check it out before buying. Unfortunately the closest "knowledgeable" shop is over an hour and a half away so I run into a lot of heavy metals.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….