• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cacatuoides, borellii, and macmasteri

F

ffong

I have two macmasteri(male), 1 borellii(male), and 4 cacatuoides (1 male) in the same 32 Gal with my 6 altum angels....

Is it a bad idea??? So far one of Macmasteris keeps fighting with the borellii....

Also, my LSF said if there is more apisto in the tank, they will fight less :?: It doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, is that true :?:

Neil

ffong,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

The concept that with more apistos in the same tank there will be less fighting has some merit, but it also has numerous draw-backs as well. If you have many apistos in the same tank, it is likely that the aggression will not be reduced, just dispersed or modified. Instead of occasional (more intense) disputes over territory, there will probably be alot of short chases and fin nipping. However, you don't seem to have enough apistos in there to truely reduce (disperse) the aggression. The concept theoretically works when 1 apisto starts chasing another and runs into a third and forth before it goes too far. This allows the first chased fish to escape "into the crowd".
I am not a big fan of putting alot of apistos in a tank, unless I am going out a spawn or have gotten a large number of a single species. That is not to say that I have not done that, just that it would not be my first choice. When you have a group of a single species or a couple of pairs of differing species, you will get many interesting behaviors that you are not likely to see with a bunch of different fish in the same tank. You may have to deal with some real territorial disputes and worse aggression when breeding is happening, but the rewards are there.
Finally, if you have 7 apistos, 6 altum angels and other fish in a 32g. tank, you will have a tougher time keeping the water quality as high as your fish would like. I vote for 1 pair or group in the tank with the angels and find new quarters for the others.
Neil

F

ffong

Thanks Neil.. :D

I notice only the borellii is constantly chasing others away. However, as you said he is doing less of those "long" chases (around the tank), once I added in two more apisto (I used to have 1 Mac, 1 Bore, 3 Caca females). My cacatuoide doesn't really care much about fighting. I guess, to him the females are more interesting. The two male macmasteris are happily swimming together. My altum are still small ~ 2" and they don't really care about them either.... The Borellii is the only one have nothing better to do I guess.... :lol:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….