• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Buying males and females - same species?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is my philosophy - and the first slide in all of my programs:
upload_2016-9-16_9-33-59.png

Do your research.

Siggi

Nice intro...
The problem, as I see it is from the point of capture (where locals often can't tell similar species apart) all the way to the employees in LFS's (who often can't tell the difference between a krib and an apisto).
Even in nature several apistogramma species live side by side in the same streams - and rarely hybridise.
It's possible and fairly easy to tell the males apart, but the females can be tricky.
And to make things worse, frequently the species have wrong labels and other times the same batch has females from different species...

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Hi, all.
When buying apistos at LFS, what way do you recommend to have at least some certainty that the males and females are the same species?
Thx
It is often really difficult, particularly as all the colours tend to be washed out. I just watch them in the tank, and you can often pick out males and females, and sometimes even pairs.

cheers Darrel

Russ Hennessey

5 Year Member
yes....that is the question we all have to answer...male or female or sleeper...or ,,,, lol
best advice as Mike says is know your fish and always remember that females get yellow coloured when they are mature...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My philosophy is, "when in doubt, buy at least 6 specimens of varying size". Yes, it's expensive, but you'll have a better chance of getting both sexes. As for the same species, knowledge - or buying from dependable and knowledgeable sources - are the only way.

Siggi

As for the same species, knowledge - or buying from dependable and knowledgeable sources - are the only way.

Yes, that can be the only help available...
My LFS knows me - quite well I'd say...have sold some 'excess production' from my breeding tank a couple of times and once changed me a female - should have been a nijsseni and turned out to be a baenschi (I think...)
But there isn't really much else to do about 'stowaways' in a batch of apistos, then?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No, not really. Me? I used to go to wholesalers in town and pull the odd apistos from tanks of wild tetras and corys. Sometimes it would take months to match a pair; sometimes it never happened. Sadly, there are no fish wholesalers left in town.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….