• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bujurquina sp. ID.

rafael

5 Year Member
Fish from near Leticia, Perú.

22dic05062p.jpg

14dic05042p.jpg

Somebody knows this Bujurquina?

Best regards,

Rafael.

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi Rafael,

Looks very similar to my Tahuantinsuyoa macantzatza

A delayed biparental mouth brooder from Peru, max size about 5"

Myself and Peter (Lovett) brought them into the UK earlier this year, we both ended up with them breeding while they were still in the quarantine tank!!

Andrew

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi Rafael,

I meant to add that on the import lists, this fish (T. macantzatza) is normally listed as either:

Bujurqui tahuantinsuyo or Cichlasoma tahuantinsuyo

Andrew

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
It looks like the fish known to me as the Half-banded acara; up 'till reading this thread I was using Aequidens vittatus for this fish but now see, thanks to Mike, it has been re-classified.

I'm unfamiliar with B. robusta so would be interested in the differences between these two species. Specifically with reference to the fish pictured above.

According to fishbase, robusta is found in Peru while vittatus is not.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I do not consider Bujurquina as dwarf species, and they are outside of my sphere of interest. That being said, I checked with my favorite book(s) on this genus (Die Buntbarsche Amerikas, v. 1 & 3 (updates)). The only species of Bujurquina known to come from the area around Leticia is B. peregrinabunda. Your fish conforms with Kullander's original description in most resects, but I have not seen photos of this species when alive. There is another undescribed species pictured in the book (v. 1, p. 204, top left) that might be your species. It is an fish imported for the aquarium and has no collecting locality other than "Peru". You might want to ask more knowledgeable people at one of the forums that specialize in South American cichlids in general, like the South American Cichlid Study Group.

rafael

5 Year Member
Hi. Thank you very much to all those that have participated.

Before the impossibility to identify correctly we have put it the photo in our Atlas like:

http://atlas.drpez.org/Bujurquina-sp-aff-peregrinabunda

However, a question for Mike: if some species are considered like dwarf cichlid, for example Nannacara aureocephalus with approximately 12 cm T.L. because you also do not consider a dwarf cichlid to the Bujurquinas, since according to Kullander they go up to around that same length.

It will be by the height of its body?

Best regards,

Rafael.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
What is a dwarf cichlid? It depends on the person who uses the name. I consider a species a "dwarf" if it is under 10 cm TL in the wild (which Bujurquina spp. are) and has a temperament that allows them to be kept (when not breeding) with other small community fishes without harming them (which Bujurquina spp. cannot). If you check the dwarf cichlid books, you will find that Bujurquina is not considered a dwarf genus. I consider Bujurquina to be 'small' cichlids, but not dwarf cichlids.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….