• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Britta water filter = good source of soft water?

davidjp1982

Donating Member
OK long story short I just moved next door to new flat and I knew the property was supplied from different water main and being the OCD fish keeper that I am the first thing I did was check the tap water - from just moving 100 yards my parameters have changed from KH5, GH8 and PH7.4 to KH8, GH15 and PH8. Just out of curiosity I tested the water from my Britta water filter today and seem to have the exciting (to some) readings of GH 0, KH 3 and PH6 (or less - that's as low as the API test kit goes). Have I got a fiddly bit workable source of soft water to mix with the new hard tap water during water changes?

Dano1311

I would assume that the filters for the Britta and the quantity require for water changes will soon become costly, have you looked into a HMA filter RO filter?

I run a HMA filter its from a company called Collinswaterproducts you can get them off Ebay reasonably priced he also sells RO units and replacement filters too.

In the short term without knowing the deatails of the britta filters, would you still need to use a tapsafe product to remove chlorine etc from the water?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Does the Britta use an ion exchange resin to soften the water? If it does - and the resins are acid/hydroxide types - then it should be fine, but replacements expensive. If it uses salt to exchange sodium for calcium and magnesium, then you are softening the water but increasing the electrical conductivity. Inexpensive, but not good for softwater fish.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
According to their site, their cartridges for their pitcher style devices uses activated carbon and an ion exchange resin. Their tap style mount replaces the ion exchange resin for zeolite.

This from the wiki:

"BRITA claims the filters have a double action:

1. The activated carbon filter eliminates bad odor and the taste of halogen compounds that chlorine makes when present in tap water.
  2. The exchange ion resin lowers the concentration of calcium carbonates, accordingly softening tap water.
To date, no scientific studies appear to quantify the claims."

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Still doesn't answer the question of which ion exchange resin they use to reduce hardness. Zeolites are absorptive clay minerals that behave much like activated carbon and are not ion exchange resins. I know of a brand of cat litter that uses zeolites; absorbs organics (ammonia, etc.) and reduces odors. It's much cheaper than activated carbon. Ammo-sorb and related products are basically zeolite clay.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
This is from the Britta FAQ:

" What is the difference between cation and anion exchange resins?Ion exchange resins exist in the form of cation exchange resins and anion exchange resins. The BRITA water filter cartridge is filled with cation exchangers. These replace positively charged ions such as calcium, magnesium, lead or copper with positively charged hydrogen ions. Anion exchange resins replace negatively charged ions from tap water (e.g. nitrate, sulphate and phosphate) with negatively charged chloride or hydroxide ions. These are primarily used as nitrate filters. "

" What is the difference between a water softener and a water filter?Water softeners are usually plumbed into the mains water system and are used to remove temporary hardness from the water to prevent limescale build up in household appliances such as washing machines. Water softeners do use a form of ion exchange resin but this is regenerated in the household using common salt (sodium chloride). In this way the calcium ions in the temporary hardness are replaced with sodium ions, thereby increasing the sodium content of the water. Due to the increased sodium it is not recommended that sodium softened water is used for drinking, cooking or food preparation. A separate tap with untreated water should be provided. "

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I guess it would be best to test the water before and after running through the filter. You'll need 2 tests, an actual water hardness test kit and an electrical conductivity test. If it lowers hardness without increasing e.c., then all is good. Otherwise ...

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Well after two water changes of 5% Britta and 5% tap spread over 2 weeks I have had 2 black neons pass on. Water parameters are unchanged regarding pH and hardness and standard tests remained good so can only assume it is something else in the Britta water that caused the deaths. The first a week ago I thought may be a coincidence but woke this morning to a second :(

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Just did a 50 percent water change after making the decision to cull the other 3 black neons 1 of which in particular was looking quite lumpy which led me to suspect neon tetra disease although my neons are all doing fine. Hope this isn't the start of a drawn out battle against some disease!

davidjp1982

Donating Member
I guess it would be best to test the water before and after running through the filter. You'll need 2 tests, an actual water hardness test kit and an electrical conductivity test. If it lowers hardness without increasing e.c., then all is good. Otherwise ...
I read on a different forum that someone had tested conductivity and found it was reduced but not substantially or rather not to the degree they would expect in relation to the drop in other parameters. I wish I saved the link to run by you guys but I think it also attributed the drop in pH to the addition of the positively charged hydrogen ions? Does that sound right and would that be detrimental for fish? I guess it is wishful thinking that some other illness caused 2 dead black neons after making minimal water changes with Brita water....

gerald

5 Year Member
Yes, addition of H+ ions makes water more acidic. It is only detrimental to fish if the pH goes below their range of tolerance. "Lumpy" fish does sound like a disease issue, not just a water chemistry issue (with the understanding that improper water chem can make them susceptible to disease).

chris1805

5 Year Member
Well i am not sure what kind of britta you got there, but i know they are used for coffeemachines, to reduce the hardness of the water, i am not sure what kind of filter they use but i do know they are very expensive the replace if you have the one i am thinking you have. If i am correct it will probably cost you about 80-100 euro's for a new one. I can't tell you how long it will last that depends on your usage but it will probably be about 1 year, after that your water quality will drop. If it looks like the one in the following link: http://www.2hand4sale.de/img_artikel/3943_03.jpg than it will cost you about 80-100 euro's for a new one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….