• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

British cichlid association, Autumn convention.

ste12000

5 Year Member
Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Its that time of year again, the tropical fish hobby is waking up from its summer hibination and autumn is upon us, this is the time of fresh imports of wild fish, renewed enthusiasm of the tank/tanks that have been ignored all summer while we barbecue, holiday and get wet in this great british summer!!

Kicking of the Autumn season we have the BCA convention..As always we will be having several excellent speakers, a top class auction of rare and hard to find cichlids, raffles and gifts on the door.

This years event is being held at Poynton sports club in Stockport. Doors open at 10am, prices have not yet been confirmed but i will post that up shortly. The date is Sunday 25th october, please put it in your diary and attend, its a day not to be missed!

Poynton sports club,
London road North,
Poynton,
Stockport,
SK12 1AG

The Speakers.

Our first speaker this year is David Goddard a former BCA member and highly experienced diver. His talk this year is all about his own personal diving experiences in Lake Malawi and promises to be a fantastic insight into the fish he encountered on his dives. He has lots of photographs to share of the fish and habitats that he encountered in the lake..Not to be missed and a essential talk for anyone interested in the great Rift lakes and the diverse cichlids that they hold, even if like me you dont have a interest in Rift valley cichlids it promises to be a very entertaining and informative talk about a stunning group of fish. I cant wait!

Our second speaker is non other than my own personal freind and BCA cichlidae editor, Mr Andrew wood. Andrew has many, many years experience, keeping, breeding and studing the cichlid families, his own speciality is the cichlids of South America and he can quite easily be described as one of the UK's leading cichlid experts. He has kept and bred countless species of South American cichlids and for this talk he would like to share his knowledge about the Heros group, in particular the type species of this group, the mouthbrooding Heros severus. Andrew will guide us through the keeping and breeding of this species in the home aquarium and will also give details on the natural distribution and habitats of this fantastic fish. I am really looking forward to this talk and anyone with a interest in breeding South American fish will find some useful information in this talk.

AGM

The BCA is run as a non profit organisation, we have a committee of dedicated individuals that are right at the forefront of cichlids in the UK. The annual general meeting is held once every year for members to have their say on all matters that have a impact on our great group,and for the committee to be voted in, either in the job they previously did, another job or even standing down and letting someone else become involved with the running of the UK's premier cichlid association. We urge all BCA members(and non members) to attend and to have their say, a club is only as good as its members and your input into the running of the club and adding ideas to take us forward will be very much appreciated! Please attend and make yourself heard! we are YOUR association and want input from members. If you are not a member you are still welcome and can either register on the day or simply come along to see if we are what you expected!!

AUCTION

Twice a year the BCA holds a large cichlid auction. For me personally this is one of the highlights of the year, we have members from all over the country that are at the forefront of cichlid keeping/breeding, they enter some of the UK's best and rarest fish into the BCA auction's. This allows anyone, both BCA members and non members to aquire fish from all corners of the world at bargain prices far cheaper than the cheapest shops! We have a good selection of Rift valley, South American, west African and even rare and endangered Madagascan cichlids in our auction. Catfish are also included and you can usually find many hard to find catfish amongst the hundreds of cichlids on offer! Not to mention the dry goods that are offered every year! this can be anything from heaters, filters, tanks or food..If its useful to a fishkeeper you can usually find it at our auction. All electrical goods are required to be working and supplied with a phone number so buyers can be assured they are buying good quality items at a fraction of there true value.
This year i am organising and taking bookings for the BCA auction. Actually putting fish into the auction is reserved for BCA members only but the auction bidding is open to all and bargains are to be found throughout. If you are a breeder of cichlids and want to make a few quid! join the BCA and book some auction lots, if you want some new fish and dont want to pay top money, simply attend the convention and put in a bid on that fish you simply wont find anywhere else!!!

Auction lots are to booked from me(Steven Chester). Please contact me directly on [email protected] or 07725516558. Numbers are restricted so i advise anyone interested in booking lots to get in touch asap and book what you need. I will then send out auction forms and label templates for your aquired lots..

Conclusion

Well i have now taken up far to much of your precious time! I wanted to enclose as much detail as possible so that you know what to expect, i also want to try and encourage new people to our convention. It is not a closed shop and absolutely anyone is welcome, You do not have to be a expert, a breeder or even keep cichlids to attend. We will welcome everyone along and thinking back to my first convention it is a nervous experince attending for the first time! Dont let that put you off, you will be amongst fellow fish addicts from all walks of life and experince. Its a wonderful atmosphere and something that every cichlid keeper should experience! If you need any details, information or simply have a question, you can contact me on [email protected] or visit the BCA website and forum at http://www.britishcichlid.com/

Many thanks for your time and i look forward to seeing you there.

2009_BCA_Autumn_Convention.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….