• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breitbinden or megaptera?

AmirA

5 Year Member
Hello. Can you guys ID these please.
20160331_195922.jpg
20160331_200820.jpg
received_1774102649500917.jpeg

Dravik2

the official description of this species is megaptera before it was discribed it was called breitbinden if i'm correct

Henry_Tan

The first 2 pictures is the male. It is now known as Apistogramma piaroa now longer sp Breitbinden.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Are these photos of the same fish?? The top fish appears to be a young A. piaroa, formerly named A. sp. Breitbinden/Broad-banded. The bottom photo appears to be A. megaptera, formerly A. cf. sp. Breitbinden-Kurzlappen/Broad-banded Short-Lappets. The female could be either of these species. They are very hard to separate using photos of live fish.

AmirA

5 Year Member
Are these photos of the same fish?? The top fish appears to be a young A. Piaroa, formerly named A. sp. Breitbinden/Broad-banded. The bottom photo appears to be A. megaptera, formerly A. cf. sp. Breitbinden-Kurzlappen/Broad-banded Short-Lappets. The female could be either of these species. They are very hard to separate using photos of live fish.
The first two pictures show the very same fish. The third is a female. Both of them are imported as A. piaroa but my local dealer sold them as A. sp. Breitbinden. But after seeing photos of A. Megaptera I was a bit confused, thats why I thought I could ask the experts here :)

Is it common that Megaptera and Breitbinden cross breed? For a neewbie like me, it surely sounds like it. I mean, if it is that hard to separate them, then my logic says that they cross breed readily.

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Interesting how photos of the same fish (and even people!) can look so different. Your fish is A. megaptera. Can piroa cross with megaptera? In an aquarium where the fish have no choice, I'd guess it is possible ("Any port in a storm" syndrome). They are closely related brevis-group species. In the wild, where they don't occur together (as far as we know now) and have a choice of many partners, it's very unlikely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….