• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding Tips for A.Borelli

bbetta

5 Year Member
I'm feeding Grindal and they love it.
The fish have developed great colours but I can see a little aggression.Should I worry?

bbetta

5 Year Member
A pic of the tank as it is now
029.JPG

A pic of the male
032.JPG

bbetta

5 Year Member
I believe they did breed!I will remove the male from the breeding tank.
The strange thing is that they did breed when I stopped the WC for 3 days.

I have a question.
Should I continue the water changes or reduce them?

bbetta

5 Year Member
Now it is sure that they breed, I saw the eggs.There are about 25 eggs and 2 or 3 of them have fungus.

I have some more questions::D

The female is not staying guarding the eggs which are in a coconut cave all the time. She is swimming all over the tank and doesn't stay in the cave for a long time. Is this normal?Is it happening because she feels safe, alone in the tank?

Are the snails (Ramshorn and Trumpet) a threat for the eggs/fry?

Thank You very much ;)

regani

5 Year Member
I had some similar 'unattentive' females in a couple of species, but that behavior changed once the fry hatched and the females would stay mostly in the cave then until the fry became free-swimming.
it is difficult to say though how much time they really spend in the caves or guarding eggs. when they seem to swim around more that may just be because I am close to the tank and they associate me with food. for all I know they could be fiercely guarding the cave all the hours that I am not standing in front of the tank :)

the snails shouldn't pose a threat. the female will remove them from the cave if she feels they get too close to the eggs.

bbetta

5 Year Member
The female stays much more in the cave but I can't see any babys!
They are starting swimming in the 3rd day?I hope they will!
When its time I will feed walterworms.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Eggs typically hatch after 3 days. It then takes about 4 days more for the larvae to absorb their yolk sacs. They become freeswimming fry about 7 days after spawning. Then is the time to start feeding.

bbetta

5 Year Member
I can see nothing but the female is still in the cave.I will feed some walterworms and see what will happen

bbetta

5 Year Member
I forgot the thread for a while, but now I have much to tell you!
On 16/12/12 the fish spawned and the male was removed.There were about 20 eggs.On 20/12/12 the eggs hatched but female's behaviour changed and I had no sign of the fry for days.That's why I decided to remove the female on 25/12/12 and after I checked the cave and I saw no eggs I put in the tank a new couple.The couple went in the same cave and started guarding the fry that I didn't saw!I was so surprised!The next day I removed the male and I left the female with the fry.Now there are 5 babies left.I feed with walterworms and I hope they will live.They are now 9 days old.
PH 6.5
NH3/NH4 0
NO2 0
NO3 0
Temp. 25.5 Celsius
There will be more males or females?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If 15-20 fry had survived, you would probably get close to a 50/50 split. Now, it is hard to say because only a small part of the spawn (5) survives. Often, in such situations, the biggest/strongest survive. These are usually males.

bbetta

5 Year Member
Tomorrow morning I will start preparing the fish to breed.Now I know how it works.I decided to do a big WC ( about 25 litres with 70% R/O and 30% Tap Water.The water will be filtered with peat for a while.I will feed Grindals and frozen Mysis.
~
Now with the 5 babies.I am really surprised with the Ocean Nutrition Instant Baby Brine Shrimp.Any opinions about it? Does it worth?I want it to feed the fry the first days of their life.I can't produce BBS daily and I was Wondering if this could replace them.
~
Once I read that the females are trying to steal fry from other females to increase the amount of the survivors.And here is my question,If the couple do breed, will they take care of the old fry if I introduce it to them?

Thank you very much!
Greetings from Greece! ;)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If the size difference isn't great, then yes they will raise the 2 broods together. If the older group of fry are more than 2-3X the size of the new fry, then it is likely they will not.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
I have many different types of apisto that raised two broods of different size in the same tank. The drawback is the earlier brood which has larger fry will out compete the later brood. If the fry size of the two broods are too great (more than 4 weeks apart), the older fry will actually 'dine' on the later brood. The only time I saw parents chasing away the earlier brood if they have gotten too big for their own good (like around 8 weeks old) otherwise they are tolerated even though they maybe eating their younger siblings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….