• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding Apistogramma cacatuoides "Orange flash"

hakan

5 Year Member
Hi all

My Apistogramma cacatuoides "Orange flash" breeding in 35 liter aquarium. My first design left side clay poot. Female breed inside. I put right side coconut shell before fry out. Yesterday i saw all frys in coconut shell with male. Female still was in clay poot. Male is looking after frys. But when female try to out, male did't allow to her. i am wondering how this happened?

Do i have to remove male?

Yesterday i gave little yolk and powder fd bloodworm. Which day i can start newly hatched artemia?

Any thought?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your A. cacatuoides certainly are acting odd. Still such behavior, however, is not entirely unknown among apistos. Males, however, usually are poor "mothers" and lose interest quickly. It might be best to remove part of the fry to another tank. Then observe the behavior of the parents. If one of the parents starts to eat fry or attack the other parent, then remove the aggressor.

A. cacatuoides can eat newly hatched Artemia immediately. Now is a very good time to start hatching shrimp eggs. The fry eat live foods much better than prepared foods.

Good luck with your Cacatuoides. Let us know how everything works out.

hakan

5 Year Member
Thank you Mike

Before they are pair until female egg in clay poot. I will remove male this night. But i am afraid when female see the fry what will happen? Male still doesn't allow to female out of cave swimming.

Thanks again...

hakan

5 Year Member
:-( Unfortunately i losed all fry's. Yesterday i saw female hiding behind the clay poot. I feed but femele did't answer. No swimming. So i removed male. After removed male, female wake up and swam. Unfortunately female ate all her fry's. Male was right. i was wrong. I musted to remove female not male. ı am so sorry.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….