• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Borelli fry

Tedstank

5 Year Member
Do Borelli fry grow much slower than cacatuoids??...or am I doing something wrong? I have triple red babies that are starting to color now but the borelli fry could be food for them and only approx 2 weeks younger.

Can't find much online about growth rates of the different species.

Bilbo

5 Year Member
I have a friend who bred borellii 3 weeks ago and only got 1 sucessful spawning before loosing his parient fish. I am told most, if not all, the recent shipment into NZ have died now so he may be one of the last people here with them.
After 3 weeks they are still tiny, big enough maybe to eat decap BS but mostly on microworms.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I consider A. borelli to be one of the slowest growing species of all those Apistogramma I have raised.
That is why I recommend A. trifasciata as the consummate beginners' Apisto. Their rapid growth, ease of spawning at an early age and their attractive colors and beautiful finnage makes them a great package.
It can take borelli about 6 months to begin spawning at a small size compared to only about 3-1/2 months for trifasciata. I have had 3 month old trifasciata females fiercely guard 6 eggs and get the fry to a size where they made their own way in the company of mixed Apistogramma juveniles.
Despite the slow growth rate of borelli the fry easily eat newly hatched brine shrimp from the beginning. All the species I mention in this post have been able to take newly hatched brine shrimp. I do mean newly hatched and not those which hatched 48 hours ago.
A. cacatuoides are also a fast growing and early maturing species but IME the modern color strains have become a little more difficult to breed although they often produce very large broods. One pair of cacatuoides I bred last year produced a staggering 174 fry, all of which grew up quickly to mature fish.
They seem to have a shorter life span than many species while A. borelli live for many years thus allowing them to breed for a long time

langosh

5 Year Member
I wrote an article on Apistogramma for our local web site a few months ago so I’ve done some research and according to my findings the fastest growing species is Ap. nijssenii that get 2 cm in 5 weeks following e.g. Ap. agassizii (6-7 weeks), Ap. macmasteri (7 weeks), Ap. Panduro (8 weeks) and Ap. cacatuoides (10 weeks). Medium fast growing species is Ap. trifasciata or Ap. commbrae (12 weeks) and the slowest one is Ap. borellii or Ap. hongsloi (16 weeks). These details concern the rearing the fry with their parents - in the opposite case, the growth period may be extended by 3 to 5 weeks...

Roman

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….