• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Blood worms [midge fly larva]

yukondog

5 Year Member
I read a lot of posts saying bloodworms are not good for apistos and most of it seems to be with commercially bought bloodworms, I raise and cultivate bloodworm but mine are in clean clear water [water fountain, birdbath]. Do the same cautions apply to bloodworms raised in a more sanitary condition?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I personally use a quality brand frozen bloodworm as an occasional supplement food and have not seen problems (knock on wood). I would use your bloodworm in the same manner. I only wish I could get frozen mosquito larvae. Live culture is not a good idea here since we have West Nile virus and other nastiness in the area.

MacZ

I only wish I could get frozen mosquito larvae. Live culture is not a good idea here since we have West Nile virus and other nastiness in the area.
Yeah, live is a bad idea then. Can't choose which mosquitos lay their eggs in the ponds or tubs.

Really no frozen? I mean, bloodworms are just red mosquito larvae, why are no white or black ones available frozen?

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
My experience tracks with Mike’s. I feed Hikari frozen bloodworms once very few days, always cut into smaller pieces and haven’t seen any issues.

yukondog

5 Year Member
occasional supplement
I assume midges are not carriers of the same viruses like malaria and west Nile.
From what I have read about the Midges they dont bite.
They only get live bloodworms about once every couple of weeks, this time of year they get harder to come by with winter starting, but the ones I do get are larger than the ones during the warm weather.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I can get both live and frozen glassworms (Weissmucklarven in German) but live only in the winter and frozen in tiny cubes. Bloodworms I can get in 500 g/1 lb packs anytime of the year.

MacZ

I have no reservation about feeding Chironomid larvae that <"I've ranched myself">.
That's probably best.

Bloodworms I can get in 500 g/1 lb packs anytime of the year.
Yeah, they are easy to multiply and there is much more demand. My observation is, that many people don't think there are any other frozen food animals than bllodworms and artemia.

I can get both live and frozen glassworms (Weissmucklarven in German) but live only in the winter and frozen in tiny cubes.
That's a shame, they are really great.

yukondog

5 Year Member
I normally cultivate and collect spring summer and fall and freeze the surplus, but this year not so much, with the hurricane and all the construction to the house it just didn't happen. Luckily I have a friend that cultivates some for me and I'm able to get enough and freeze for the next couple of months.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….