• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bitaeniata

Bilbo

5 Year Member
I am having real problems getting these to spawn at the moment. Any useful tips and tricks?

I have 2 pairs, one in a 100x50x50
Bititank2.jpg

and one pair in a 600x300x300. pH 5 very soft and heaps of oak leaves.Just coming into daphnia season so heaps of that and other live food incuding white and grindal worms.

Loads of dancing and nice yellow coloured girl but no eggs.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. bitaeniata is often a bit "skittish". I find that having no other fish in the tank and leaving a night light on all of the time helps the female keep her eggs/fry.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
A. bitaeniata aren't the easiest Apistogramma spp to breed. All my experience with them has been with wild fish. I have never kept any of the TR strains. They are a very shy species. I would provide them with extremely soft water and a pH of about 5.0.
Also set up their breeding tank as high off the floor as possible so they won't be subject to scary passing shadows and foot fall vibrations.
They still won't be very easy to propagate but they should eventually get it done. Feed them live newly hatched brine shrimp and whatever other small live foods you can get. They are much more likely to spawn. Most specimens I've had did not eat much in the way of commercial fish foods.

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
The tank looks nice but in my opinion it is a little bright. More leaf litter would help. If the tank is placed in a spot where there is a lot of foot traffic cover the glass.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello,

Agree nice tank, maybe also some floating plants and agree light maybe too light and more leaf litter needed. Also watch out for the rummy nose, they are good fry catchers...cheers jk :biggrin:

Bilbo

5 Year Member
Also watch out for the rummy nose, they are good fry catchers...cheers jk :biggrin:

You are pretty good I have to admit. I know there is 1 rummynose in there and I took the photo but I cant see it in there. Well done :)

I will put a pile more leaves in and take some lights off. Ordered some BS eggs today too.

Ok I see it now lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….