• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

best apistogramma for 15 gallon

Aquaticloch

Hello everyone, i'm looking for an apisto that does best in pairs and could fit in this diminutive aquarium. The aquarium would be run with an aquaponics system and the dimensions would be 20" x 10" x 18" or 50 x 25 x 45 cm. Are there any less common fish that would be suitable for this aquarium? would borelli, hongsloi, nijsseni, or atahaulpa (they do better in harems I belive) work in this tank? I will get maybe 3 nannostomus beckfordi and i could move any fish if the need arises.
thanks for any input!

MacZ

In that size I'd only keep a singular Apisto. Hongsloi I can tell you did not work out in a 60cm tank. Atahualpa are said to be quite agressive. If any maybe borelli.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You have what is called a 15 High. Your tank is has the same bottom dimensions as a standard 10 gallon tank. Bottom dimensions are more important, apisto-wise, than volume. Of the species listed I would only be comfortable with housing a pair of A. borellii - and only if I had a way to re-house the male if they bred and produced fry. Then you would need to decide what to do with the fry. A tank this size can easily be polluted by the addition of even small fry. If you were lucky to find them, the best apisto for such a small tank would be A. wapisana/sp. Balzfleck. They are tiny, getting to the size of a mature Neon Tetra. They are not the best looking species, but the reversed courtship behavior is quite interesting to observe.

John Stoller

One more thing to consider, the pH and hardness requirements of your Aquaponics system may be greatly different that what your apistos require.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frankephex

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….