• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Behavior of sick Apistos

gerald

5 Year Member
The discussion about Apisto behavior in the "sleeping hours" thread reminded me of something:

There is a behavior I have seen that seems to be an early indicator of internal infection in Apistos. The fish hover in one place slowly undulating the body in an eel-like motion, similar to a snake pushing food down its throat to the stomach. I have had agassizii, macmasteri, and regani-group Apistos do this at various times over the past 15 years, and in all cases the fish got other symptoms within a couple weeks after the undulating behavior started, such as appetite loss, bloating, or rapid breathing. I never saw Camallanus or anything that looked like external parasite symptoms on any of these fish, but some did get body sores that might have been from Mycobacterium. In most cases they died a few weeks to months later. Have others seen this undulating behavior? It looks quite different from the "shimmying" behavior that fish with skin infections (ich, velvet, costia) often do.

raymond82

I had to look up the word undulating but I think I know exactly what you mean. A female Congochromis that I had that died recently showed exactly the same behavior. I recently also saw a young Apisto fry swimming with this same motion but I haven't seen him anymore.

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi gerald + all..

I have experienced the same problem some times.

I think it might be some kind of flagellates, maybe the one that result in the infamous "hole-in the-head" disease ?

It may help if you use the "pills" called HexaEx from Tetramedica .. (I think it is now availible as fluid also??,unsure about the trade-name though..)

Some people involved in the "Parosphromenus project" use it in their tanks when they have received wild caught liquorice gourami. As a preventive measure.

BTW..do you have the thread concerning "sleeping hours" ??

/Micke

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….