• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beginer Apisto

Paulvechkin

Hello people, so I'm new to the board and I am looking into keeping either apistos, rams, or possible Keyhole's in my current tank. Now from reading on here I've seen that very fine gravel or sand is ideal for apistos and my current substrate is small gravel, maybe 1-3mm in diameter depending on the piece. I am willing to change out the areas without plants and put sand in if needed (though looking through the gallery I have seen a lot of picture with gravel larger than mine). I have experience with Mbunas but none with fresh water cichlids so I am looking for a more hardy species.

My tanks dimensions are 24"x12"x15.5 and currently in my tank I have 10 Cardinal Tetra and 2 Golden Apple Snails, this week I will be adding a colony of 5-10 RCS as well (I'm hoping the shrimps spawn acts as a natural food source to supplement the cichlids diet). It is a planted tank.

Any help would be appreciated, (im also not really concerned about breeding either way, if it happens that great, if not thats fine too)

ErtyJr

Hello people, so I'm new to the board and I am looking into keeping either apistos, rams, or possible Keyhole's in my current tank. Now from reading on here I've seen that very fine gravel or sand is ideal for apistos and my current substrate is small gravel, maybe 1-3mm in diameter depending on the piece. I am willing to change out the areas without plants and put sand in if needed (though looking through the gallery I have seen a lot of picture with gravel larger than mine). I have experience with Mbunas but none with fresh water cichlids so I am looking for a more hardy species.

My tanks dimensions are 24"x12"x15.5 and currently in my tank I have 10 Cardinal Tetra and 2 Golden Apple Snails, this week I will be adding a colony of 5-10 RCS as well (I'm hoping the shrimps spawn acts as a natural food source to supplement the cichlids diet). It is a planted tank.

Any help would be appreciated, (im also not really concerned about breeding either way, if it happens that great, if not thats fine too)

For me the ultimate beginning apisto is A. cacatuoides. These are hardy fish that naturally occur in areas with a higher TDS and pH than some of the more finicky apisto sp. Also I keep A. cacatuoides in tanks with red cherries and they will eat adults when they can catch them as well. Mine are strictly in there for food, and they do breed and reproduce, but they are often eaten as well. I have a small colony going that I have not had to supplement though so it does well.

ErtyJr

Oh and I forgot to mention, I would definitely switch to a fine substrate in any place you possibly can. It benefits Apistogramma greatly, and is worth the effort.

Paulvechkin

Hmm, maybe I'll just wait for another tank before i do apistos, I want to do it right and set up a tank specifically off them and not force it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….