• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Badis Info

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Hi,

I know it is not a cichlids but they look like them , and they are dwarf :)
anyway if it is not a good place erase / move the thread. :)

i had some experience with them before and actually breed them (i will say by accident).

Now i want work on them really.
so if you have any experience , info, on this littlle beauty feel free to share.

thanks

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
I kept the Burmese badis, Badis ruber for a while. A very interesting fish and as you say, very cichlid-like. I found after a while they would get very tame and take food direct from my fingers.
I bred them much as dwarf cichlids with the difference being the male looks after the eggs. (He gets jet black at this time). I had more fry when I removed the females after spawning and then removed the male when the free-swiming fry appeared.
I kept them in small colonies with a male and three females in an 2ft tank.

Male:
badis_male.jpg

Female:
badisfemale.jpg

Growing on the young:
badisrams.jpg

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
My water is soft and neutral to slightly alkaline. Only 1 or 2 degrees of KH and dH and pH about 7.0 - 7.5.
I'm not too particular about temperature in my tanks, anywhere between 75F - 78F and I leave the heater alone.
I forgot to say I couldn't get these fish to eat flake. Either frozen bloodworm or white/grindal worm. They especially liked small earthworms which they would eat whole. They ignored daphnia and brine shrimp unless they where really hungry. I suspect they eat only wormy things in the wild.

epl4978

5 Year Member
whats is a badis exactly like i know what they look like but what type of fish is it?

Cumb Dunt

5 Year Member
i kept Badis badis badis (the blue one) a while ago. i never spawned them, but they were certainly an interesting fish to watch (and very pretty). they are truly very chameleon-like.

i also could not get mine to take flake. but they did love their bloodworms and brine shrimp :)

epl4978

5 Year Member
wow thanks for the info thats another fish i would like to try now.

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ok, I've got a few badis that I picked up a year ago and I still don't know which species I have. Can anyone here ID them?

Badisspecies.jpg

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
Possibly, but I think it's a dwarf badis of some sort. They came in as wildcaughts. And they are still only 1" or so long (if that). They are in a tank with an adult male blue ram and they are dwarfed by that guy....

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I am getting some scarlet badis next week. [ita]Badis ruber[/ita]? Anyone know a website dedicated to these fish?

Cumb Dunt

5 Year Member
Scarlet badis should be Dario dario.

Lisa, I don't think your fish looks like anything from Dario. I would say that it is most likely a Badis badis badis (as opposed to Badis badis burmanicus). Are the unpaired fins bright, irridescent blue?

http://www.g-hoener.de/images/11 Zwerbuntbarsch/Badis_badis_n_c.jpg

That looks exactly like your fish's hindquarters to me :)

(These fish have the coolest taxonomy, BTW, in ANY fish, IMHO :))

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't recall seeing bluish highlights in the unpaired fins, but I'll check the next time I see them 'fired up'. I seem to recall them being reddish. They tend to stay hidden and a plainish grey fish for the most part. My luck is I probably have only one sex!

Cumb Dunt

5 Year Member
They could all be females.

Females stay in the 1-1.5" range and are the same color as the males, albeit substantially subdued.

retro_gk

5 Year Member
Zapisto said:
The Nandidae group of fishes, native to South America, the West Indies, Africa and India, comprises several species, ...

text by M. J. Parry

A minor correction...

Badids are no longer classified as Nandids, they are now in their own family, Badidae

@Lisachromis, your fish looks like a female B. badis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….