• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

baby brine shrimp

myfrostymember

5 Year Member
ok i am looking into getting a pair of caca's orange flash-- i have read that all apisto's like baby brine shrimp- so before i got the fish i decided to get some brine shrimp and learn to hatch them-- i jsut got my first hatch done and was a little shocked at just how small they really are- i trie dto see if any of my fish i have now would eat them and none even looked at them except my featherfin rainbows--so do apistos really eat bbs being how small they really are-or is there a jumbo version of bbs (just kidding-i think)

so do apisto caca's really eat bbs as their staple diet or should i look into a different culture

matt

RiC

5 Year Member
My apistos eat BBS all the time, regardless of their age! And yes, they do notice them, even if they are tiny! :wink:

farm41

5 Year Member
Use the brine shrimp net, you will lose some, but with a good hatch you should have lots left. I just pass them under the tap quickly, maybe for only a second with the faucet on spray. What I don't use goes into a shallow tupperware and into the fridge, I add a teaspoon of rock salt and they will last for a couple of feedings.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I drain my bbs out of the hatching container, an inverted 2liter soda bottle that has the air enter it through a hole in the cap. By draining or siphoning the bbs and water out I can manage to keep a lot of the egg casings out of the shrimp/salt water mix. I then just use a turkey baster to squirt the salt water and shrimp into a given tank. I’ve never rinsed my bbs before feeding them out and have never had a problem. I'm using marine aquarium salt.
Any left over shrimp stays in the cup I drained them into and get put in the refrigerator unaerated. I can keep the bbs alive and viable as a food source for at least 36 hours.
As far as fish eating it I feed large Cory cats a steady diet of bbs and am able to condition them for spawning with it. Apistos, West African dwarf cichlids, and a host of other fish see bbs as their staple diet in my fishroom.

Jeff

Cathy G

5 Year Member
I am of the waste not want not crowd so I stuff a coffee filter in my fish net and strain through that. My store bought rams won't look at the bbs, but the ones I raised myself will eat them. If you rear fry on them then all their lives they will eat them. (My theory at least...)

I also store mine in the frig for at least some of the day. I found that if I bump up the temp and keep a light shinning on the hatchery I can hatch them in 24 hours. So, every morning I start a new batch...

I don't know what brand you are using, but the San Fransisco Bay brand works good. It is also smaller than the other brands I hear.

Have fun!
Cathy

myfrostymember

5 Year Member
the ones i use are gsl something or other and they are so small i couldnt hardly see em i thought they hadnt hatched because i couldnt see anything anyway i think im going to start a grindal culture also so ill have two diff live foods and frozen foods for my- betta simpex- dwarf puffer and the apisto's

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most creek-dwelling apistos - like your A. cacatuoides - mostly eat micro crustacians in the wild. Baby brines shrimp is very similar to what they eat in the wild. A bbs for an apisto is simiar in size to a peanut to a human. I love peanuts!

I don't rinse my bbs. Instead I dip the shrimp net in a container of fresh water. The bbs float, so none get washed through the netting. Your Great Salt Lake (gsl) brine shrimp are larger than San Francisco shrimp, but I have no problem with them escaping through the netting (unless there are small hole in the seams). I have noticed that newer brine shrimp nets have larger mesh openings than my original 20 year old net (I don't use it now, the seams need to be re-sewn.). Also make sure the net says it is for baby brine shrimp on the packaging. I expect some store will sell fine-meshed nets as shrimp nets if they don't carry the real thing.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….