• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

are white worms OK for very small fish?

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Hi all,

Are white worms suitable for small fish like clown killies (especially subadults) and juvenile apistos? I like the size of grindal worms better, but my house is too cold to culture those without finding a way to heat them.

Thanks

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
How cold? I keep them in a room that is about 15 oC (59 oF) in the winter and they are fine, they just reproduce a bit more slowly.
That's really useful to know. I've been reading they don't tolerate below 18C/64F. I've been curious about that, though, since I know you're in the UK and people don't tend to keep their homes at tropical temps there.

We don't tend to use heat very much in the Bay Area, so our house is normally between 64F and 67F. The garage, which seems aesthetically a better choice for growing bugs, is more continuous with outdoor temps, which these days go down to the 40s. If they can survive at 59F, that opens up more possibilities. I don't need them to grow quickly, considering that I only have 4 small tanks. Questions:

1. Do you hatch BBS at that temp as well?
2. Have you tried soil-free grindal worm cultures (e.g. using scouring pads as the medium)? I'm reading that they are far less susceptible to mites.

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….