• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are these: cones, leaves and branches good for my tanks?

OHR

5 Year Member
Spring is slowly coming to Norway and I have come out of hibarnation.

A few days ago I went to my botanical garden looking for aldercones and oakleaves. Not so much luck with that, but I did find quite alot of other intresting stuff.

First this is the correct type of alder to pick cones from right?
DSC01946.jpg

Can I pick cones from the ground that has been lying under the snow or can they be poisonous?
They seemed to be "dusty" on the trees, I think this is the seeds or just decomposing. Is it best to rinse this or is this were the good stuff is hiding?
Can I use dead branches like oak branches?

This is the correct species of oak right?
DSC01945.jpg

Many of the leaves has black spots on them, that is not a problem?
I am thinking of using oak leaves in a stocking while aeriating my tapwater, can I use partly decomposed leaves from the ground to this?

This is the correct species of beech right?
DSC01944.jpg

There were quite a lot of nice leaves on the ground. More than sufficent for me for the whole sommer I think.
I just pick, rinse and dry these?
Do they contain tannins just like oakleaves?

Last but not least did I find basket willow, but I forgot to take picture of the latin name.
I have put some live branches in one of my tanks and they are starting to root. At the same time there is some coating of sorts that looks like algea on them under water.
Has anyone kept willow in their tanks over some time and can share their experience?

Thanks from Ola

Microman

5 Year Member
Hi Ola,
Yes all the species you have pictured are what we use in the UK.... With the Alder cones i pick up from the floor as well as from the tree, all are ok and i have had no problems at all. Excellent for your cory eggs too....
You can soak the alder cones to get the seeds off as these just tend to decompose very quickly.
Im sure the branches are fine like the beech and oak.
Never tried the willow in my tanks, dont know if it contains tannic acid like the others you mentioned.
Mark...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Just make sure that the cones and leaves come from a location where no pesticides are used. I found a couple of oak trees (red, I think) that still have last year's leaves hanging on them. I pick a batch each time I walk by. The owners must think I'm crazy!

OHR

5 Year Member
thanks Mike.
As I collect from a park there are no owners to question my sanity. On the other hand I recalled you saying something about stuffing your pockets full of leaves while passing a public park once, and I might have giggled a bit at it. If someone was nearby they probably just thougt I was on "leave" from the mental institution across the field and slowly backed up.

Anyways, the basket willows have grown nice roots and saplings. Hopefully they will not rot in the long run. The ottos seem to enjoy them as much as me.

Is it important to have circulation or can it just be left in a container with the cones and leaves while I aeriate the tapwater?

Now I`m saving about 1/4 of the changing watertank as my pump can`t get up the last part, and I think that is okay as the water gets time to soak up more acid tannins for a few more days.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Ola they are the right species and I would agree with Mark. I've rooted willow cuttings (most "Basket Willows" are "Osiers", Salix viminalis cv.s and hybrids), once they are growing they will produce loads of fine roots as described and they certainly won't rot. I didn't have any problem in the tank, and they are quite widely used in the bio-remediation of polluted waters.

I usually just put a few alder cones and leaves in the tank, but you can steep them in a container and store the extract, you don't need to aerate it.

cheers Darrel

Crazygar

5 Year Member
I find that Oak is usually the best for availability and price (a nice little walk). I have never tried the Alder Cones before, yet I read about everyone using them. Are they good for blackwater tanks?

Gary

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….