• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are Long Tanks better for S.A. Cichlids?

Richard Tyll

5 Year Member
I am just beginning to research equipment & fish species to set up a tank in my home.
I used to have a 50 gal. tank with African cichlids 20+ years ago but, life changes led me to abandon keeping fish.
Now I'm retired, divorced & living alone so, I'd like a new hobby to enjoy.
I've become more interested in Dwarf Cichlids and given their natural environment, it seems a long, shallow tank would be best suited for them to thrive. Seems a well-stocked planted aquarium with sunken driftwood & leaf litter would be a more natural setting than a tall, open-spaced tank.
Another question would be filtration due to the length of the tank.
Would filtration at each end be best? Any other ideas on this problem?
I guess that would be my first question, whether my thinking on the matter is correct.
Next is where to find this style of an aquarium for sale or would it be more cost-efficient to build my own?
My thoughts would be a tank measuring 36"L x 12"W x 12"H
Naturally, I would accept whatever dimensions are available in a pre-assembled, store-bought tank.
My only problem with purchasing one is the shipping.
I live high up in the Beartooth Mountains of South-Central Montana.
The closest actual City is 100 miles one-way from my home.
Any & All suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most dwarf cichlids live in water <12"/30cm deep in the wild. Most come from jungle streams with slow flowing water. Therefore tanks deeper than 12-16"/30-40cm is not utilized by the fish. This is why most people in the US use a 20 gallon long or 30 gallon long tank for dwarf cichlids. Filtration is fine in 1 place or many. Just don't have a really strong current. Most apisto breeders us sponge or matten filtration.

Richard Tyll

5 Year Member
Most dwarf cichlids live in water <12"/30cm deep in the wild. Most come from jungle streams with slow flowing water. Therefore tanks deeper than 12-16"/30-40cm is not utilized by the fish. This is why most people in the US use a 20 gallon long or 30 gallon long tank for dwarf cichlids. Filtration is fine in 1 place or many. Just don't have a really strong current. Most apisto breeders us sponge or matten filtration.
Thanks, Mike
Now, any suggestions on how/where to obtain a proper size tank?
I live in such an isolated area I'm used to having most purchases delivered.
small montana view.jpg
My backyard

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi,

Had to google maps Beartooth Mountains. I believe congratulations are in order for the view!
What substrate do you have in mind? May I suggest pool filter sand.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think you'll need to take an extended trip to the nearest pet store. I'd contact them first about available sizes and costs so that it isn't a wasted trip. My guess is that your water should be fine for keeping apistos.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….