• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aponogeton madagascariensis

Poe

5 Year Member
Hello all

I have an A. madagascariensis who is growing very well, not fast but I preffer that way. I have it situated in the corner of an heavily planted 75gallons tank with 150w lighting.
T 26ºC
kh 3
gh2
ph 6,5-7
I have it with a root tablet and I use PMDD evry 3-4 days (I know I should do it every day but......)

Well, the problem is starting. I see some brown spots in each leaf, nothing serious, but sometyhing tells me that in a few days I´ll have a hole surrounded by brown tissue.

I dont see any yellow area, The Fe level in water is aprox 0.4mg/L. Is a new bulb, it only have in the tank about 1,5 months and aproximatelly 7 leafs, I mean, I dont thing it needs a rest.

Does anyboy know why is happening that?

Regards

aspen

5 Year Member
sorry poe, i've never kept that species, and your parms seem quite nice. you know what you are doing, so i would suspect it is going through a growth phase, actually a die- off stage, but i may be wrong. i would prune any leaf that dies off completely, you may be left with just a bulb, that may come back.

rick

farm41

5 Year Member
I don't have any experience with apons either, but what I have read is that they melt and then start new growth after a dormancy period. I don't know what triggers it. You could do a search on the APD archives and find out.

Eva32181

5 Year Member
I think I know what might be going on. Madagascar lace plants love cold water, and do poorly in warm water. Not a good match with Rams, who prefer it very hot.

I had one of these in my 55 gal before I decided to make it strictly South American. It was beautiful, but slowly turned brown and died. Even the bulb died. I guess the rivers in Madagascar are cold.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….