• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apistos in a 60

farm41

5 Year Member
My 60 gallon tank unfortunately is empty now, bacterial problem. This week I am sterilizing it and it will be replanted and ready for fish soon. All new fish so I've got my choice, I will be adding 1 male and 3 female orange Cacs., from my 38g.

Can I put some other apistos in there? The lfs has a pair of Pandurini's.
If those won't do what will? Or is just the Cacs the way to? The lfs has some red cacs, but, I'm not sure about mixing them.

It'll have a Ph of 7, Kh 6, and Gh of 10.

Neil

farm41,
I think that you could definitely house another species in a 60g, either a pair or small group. If you go with the red cacatuoides, you are preessing your luck with the crossing of those two species-forms. However, they would be the better choice considering your water conditions! Panduro (pandurini) would be fine in the tank; it is just much less likely that they would have a viable spawn under those conditions. I think it just comes down to personal preferance. Good luck, Neil

p.s., I mentioned the email notification to Gary. He is a little under the weather, so it might take him a while to remedy it.

farm41

5 Year Member
I do have 4 10g tanks for QT and whatever else I need them for. So when the fish and I am ready they could be put in the 10 for breeding. I don't think I am going to be ready for the responsibility of raising fry until next winter. It's just getting to my busy season, and I won't be able to care for fry properly.

aspen

5 Year Member
ha ha ha, with thinking like that they are SURE to start breeding. mine always do whatever it is i don't want them to do.

rick

farm41

5 Year Member
I'm thinking about a school of tetras to help fill the tank. I had Black Phantoms, Red Phantoms, and Lemons, so I'm looking for something different. Maybe cardinals, or diamonds.

How about some ideas?

farm41

5 Year Member
I'd like to keep it SA, I do like Rasboras though and they have been my wife's favorite for some time. When I get my cacs out of the 38g and into the 60g the 38g will get the rasboras.

Thanks

aspen

5 Year Member
i've had my eye out for some different types of pencilfish in the local stores. i like rummynose tetras. they are good with larger cichlids like discus and angels.

aspen

5 Year Member
i like my rummy nose. they are a bit sensitive, and i believe all are wild, although i also believe it is possible to breed them- very tough though. (so q them and clean them when you get them. don't be too shocked if a few don't make it.) once they settle, they seem to live quite a while. i got 8 lost 2 when i got them, and the rest i've had in different environments for a year and a half. no problem. no problems with discus like neons. they will fend for themselves against apistos and rams also ime. very fast. never seen a tail or fin nipped by a ram or discus. (have lost quite a few neons, glowlights and cardinals to discus)

rick

farm41

5 Year Member
The cacs are in, they look very lost in this tank. It's wall to wall plants. I'm going to have to find some more fish soon, the Pandurini's were gone when I went back to get them. I've asked for aggies, the order goes in next week.

What are some other apistos that would live in this tank with the cacs if the aggies don't come in? Or some other type of dwarfs that could go well in this tank?

The lfs is very short on fish right now, I hope the pick improves shortly.

aspen

5 Year Member
hey farm, check this link out.

http://pub3.ezboard.com/fdiscusgeneraldiscussion.showMessage?topicID=3677.topic

he is offering free samples of apisto food, and has a few different types of apistos and also blue rams for sale. maybe get in a bunch and keep the lfs supplied with them. you will end up with the nicest ones, and hopefully be able to sell the rest to the poorly stocked lfs. e-mail and he will send you a stock list. check out his articles while you are there at his site. he also has some real nice pics of different drawfs.

rick

farm41

5 Year Member
Thanks for the link.

If I order some, it will be from the locals. I have met a breeder 'on line' right here in my home town, he is growing out some apisto fry, if the lfs doesn't get what I want soon I can get some from him.

farm41

5 Year Member
The lfs got a huge shipment of killi's last weekend and I couldn't resist, So I have 4 killi's now for some apisto company. Well in 4 weeks anyway, QT first.

So I guess it's not strictly SA anymore. Darn those killi's just looked too good.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frankephex

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….