• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogrammas reccommendations

K

koolkatzfish

After buying sick rams, I've decided (I think) to go back to my first choice of apistogrammas for trying a cichlid. I live in Seattle and the selection of dwarf cichlids is pretty slim. I checked out a store that has a great stock of fish. they normally stock the borelli, caucetiode, and agassizii (sp), plus whatever else is in season or is available.
I've never had cichlids (except the sick rams that died, long story). But everyone seems to rave about them so I thought what the heck lets try a pair (or trio). I have a 44 gallon pentagon tank, current fish are:
Dithers multiple tetras and barbs
bottom: 2 bristlenose catfish, 1 chubby pl*co, 3 yoyo loaches and 3 cories.
My water is on the slightly acidic side (6.4 - 6.6), I have mostly live plants and lots of caves, and pipes for fish to hide in. I also have a couple pieces of bog wood.
Is there a species that would go best with my setup? Or do you think I should look at some other type of fish. I have been doing a lot of reading on them. they sound like nifty little guys/gals. I realize that if they breed babies may be eaten by tank mates.
All opinions and suggestions are welcome, ideally the welfare of the fish come first. 8)
One other question, if you are not breeding do you need to still buy more than one? I wouldn't mind breeding, but it isn't big deal if I don't.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
KKF, any of those 3 apistos you mentioned would be an excellant first apisto. They are fairly hardy, don't require a lot of special treatment, and have a rather level temperment. The water parameters are fine for them, tho the borelli like their water temperature a bit on the low end. I've never kept a lone apisto, so I don't know how they would act. But, pairs or trios will give you a good idea of their interaction and behavior. They may breed in your setup, and with enough places to hide a few fry might even avoid the other fish long enough to survive.

Good luck with them, they are addictive...

Neil

koolkatzfish,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I agree with Cichlids1: these would all work well in your tank. Your water, etc. sounds fine. I also agree that it would be best for you to get more than one and try for both sexes. This makes for a MUCH more interesting aquarium! But, should you decide to go with just one, that would be fine to. Dwarf Cichlids are behaviorally complex creatures and they occupy themselves pretty well if they are by themselves in a tank with other types of fish. A male would be the better choice for this. However, I suspect that once you have one, even though you say now that breeding is no big deal, you will get the bug and want to get more. It's inevitable. Why fight it :?: :D You might be the one raving about them soon. Neil

K

koolkatzfish

It would be interesting if they do breed, and I do have that 5 gallon quarantine tank. I have a pair of bristlenose catfish, I keep hoping will make babies, last night they were getting cozy in the skull and today the male is in there. fins crossed! My fish books says apisto are into harems. So would a trio be best?

Neil

koolkatzfish,
Bristlenose would be agreat spawn. They seem to be a very popular fish. I'll keep my fingers crossed too.
There are quite a few apistos that do well in a harem scheme, but not all. However, it is not a bad idea to always try a trio, because of the high percentage of the pairing of the male with at least one of the two females.
Both agassizii and cacatuoides are inclined to harem spawn, but I have not seen quite the same desire in the borellii. Regardless of which one you chose, I would go for a trio. You are more likely to get a compatible pair and more interesting behaviors in the tank. Neil

JerryB

5 Year Member
koolkatzfish,

Howdy my two cents

As a breeder of dwarfs I would agree that all the Apistos mentioned could be kept in your planted aquarium. Although as for breeding I'm bare bottom tank kind of guy.

Yes, they might breed in your tank but, as far as making it to adult or sub adult well you have a lot going on in your tank might be tuff.

The Rams you got might have been sick or just might have needed more water changes. They are sensitive to water chemistry and if your not doing a weekly water change well that could have been the problem.

The first fish that bred for me was the Borellii although the Borellii and Cacatuoides do like their water in the low to mid 7's as far as pH is concerned the Borellii likes his/her water to be less hard than the cacatuoides.

Agassizii is one of my favorite, optimal conditions for aquarium keeping is more in the 6.0 range. The aggie would keep okay in your tank as would the others but, they are not all the same.

I've kept both Aggies and Cacatuoides in a planted tank but, if I were breeding them they wouldn't be in the same tank or even the same kind of water.
like I said just my 2 cents

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….