• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma viejita with a red "shoulder"?

JosVermeulen

So I've had this male A. viejita for a while known, but it seems to be developing red on it's shoulder. I took pics of it as you can see below (with and without flash, don't mind the dirty glass). I've never seen this in other A. viejita, but I know that this one is F1 from near Puerto Gaitan, so I wonder what it could be?

bDGM4qw.jpg

z8TQJxi.jpg

Tom C

5 Year Member
I have dirty glass in my A. viejita tanks too ;)

resizeimage.aspx

These are F1 from the type locality too.
As you see, the big male in the middle has developed some of the same colors as yours, and so has a couple of his brothers. So this seems to be a natural color variation within this species... You wouldn't dare to selective breed them to in the end produce a A. viejita "Red shoulder"! :eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….