• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Study Group

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hey all,

I need to know if members are getting the publications that go along with membership? We signed up 2 years ago at ACA and still have not received anything. We contacted a few people about this and didn't get a proper response (I did get a response from someone in Dec, but nothing came out of it). Just wondering if something is going on that we don't know about.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

fishboy20

5 Year Member
As far as I know, they are not doing publications right now. I do not know why they even bother advertising in the various magazines. I know the study group gets together at the ACA conventions. That is all the info I have on.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The ASG publication is in hiatus right now, but we hope to have something out in a couple of months. The ASG is basically a group of hobbyists, not an organization. It has no board of directors or executives. In the past the unelected ASG editor has had to run the show almost by his lonesome. Jeff Magnus did a wonderful job of procurring, editing, and publishing the Apisto-gram. Unfortunately Jeff lost his job a while back and has been busy building his own business over the past years. This means that there hasn't been time for his hobby & the ASG. What is needed, and hopefully we have now set up, is people who will split the different operations so that we can get something out on a regular basis. Still only 2 or 3 people aren't going to be as efficient as if we had more members helping (Sounds like the average aquarium society publication, doesn't it?). Any really committed volunteers out there?

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Sign me up Mike. I have been into Apistos and other dwarfs hardcore over the last 8 years or so. I can write, edit, promote, etc. if need be. I also have a few friends who would certainly join in. I will be at the ACA 2006 show in Chicago for sure. Let me know what I can do.

~Jeremy

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
(Sounds like the average aquarium society publication, doesn't it?).

It sure does! Between my husband and I, we tend to have more than a few positions in our club. Thanks you for the explanation. I did know about Jeff (well some of it). I hope he gets his business going well so we can see some input from him again. I hope things will get a bit better. I loved the issue of the Apisto-gram I did get from Jeff when we signed up.

Lisa

P.S. When is the Apisto study group meeting at ACA this year?

BigDaddy

5 Year Member
I have been trying to get more and more people to convert from Africans to Apistos in my club, as our water here is pretty well suited to them.

I would be more than willing to help out if possible. Hoping to be at the ACA.. but would love for the ASG to be something other than a meet and greet once a year...

BigDaddy

5 Year Member
Plus... I'd love to see the apisto mailing list get back to the "good ol' days". Forums are great.. but there is a certain charm to a mailing list too

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm certainly open to suggestions on how to rejuvenate the ASG. I've noticed that the internet has made major changes in how many of the hobby groups operate. Has anyone else noticed how small the ACA Trading Post has become lately? No doubt that Aquabid & other e-auction sites have taken a major bite out of it. The South American Cichlid Study Group, among others, has given up publishing, but now is totally internet-based. I personally wouldn't be opposed to an all electronic, web-based ASG, but I'd miss holding a copy of the Apisto-gram.

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
You could always print out the Apistogram if it went 'net'! That way you could still hold it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….